Ventless gas/propane fireplaces??? Thoughts anyone??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ParadisePoultry, Nov 16, 2010.

1. ParadisePoultry

ParadisePoultry Hey, I'm WALKIN' here !

Oct 19, 2009
    Paradise (Braham), Mn
    We have just rented a new farm, which is great. Only thing missing is it doesn't have a fireplace. I've seen ventless ones that run on propane or natural gas. Does anyone have experience with these? We would run it on propane. Does it connect to your regular outdoor tank? Or do you have to have a separate tank? If separate, where is the tank stored? It's supposed to be 99.9% efficient. Has a low oxygen sensor, that shuts it off if O2 gets low. They look really nice. Would love to hear your thoughts/experiences

BJ

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    We had a gas ventless fireplace/stove type thing added to our sunporch room. It was adorable and worked great, BUT after the winter season was over, we had a lot of residue on our walls and ceiling that we had to scrub off with bleach (white walls & ceiling) But worse than that we lost our little cockateil shortly after and I think that had a lot to do with it. We kept her in the sunroom [​IMG] so we switched over to a vented one and got a newer gas fireplace. This one is perfect and doesn't hurt anything. For the few extra $$$ I would go with "vented". Just to be safe. Not sure how it would work with propane though.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Yes, it can hook to the tank outside... I have used vent-less wall heaters for years an floor models before that. We had a vented one once but they wast a lot of heat out the vent. As long as it is burning a blue flame it is clean. If you see other colors the heater is in efficient, out of adjustment or dirty. Ether way other colors = unhealthy for you.

Remember lots of "fire places" are for show an don't burn clean of efficient.

4. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I would never, ever, EVER use one of those. They are extremely dangerous if they are not burning absolutely perfectly.

Credentials: Plumbing and heating company owner. Disclaimer: I don't sell fireplaces, so have no vested interest in whatever you end up installing. [​IMG]

5. ParadisePoultry

ParadisePoultry Hey, I'm WALKIN' here !

Oct 19, 2009
    Paradise (Braham), Mn
    Quote:Why are they so much more dangerous than a propane furnace?

6. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN

Because a propane furnace vents outside, so even if it isn't burning properly, it's not pushing carbon monoxide into your home.

7. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010

Because a propane furnace vents outside, so even if it isn't burning properly, it's not pushing carbon monoxide into your home.

Ditto. If you must have a fireplace, build or buy a surround, buy some gas logs, and have them vented BY A PROFESSIONAL to the outside.

8. rebelcowboysnb

All that talk about danger is mostly hype. The truth is in 13 years as a firemen I only went to one call where the carbon monoxide alarm was going off. Not one carbon monoxide poisoning from a heater in the county that I know of ever. The one person I know that has got carbon monoxide poisoning was in a hunting hut out of town using kerosene. Gas heaters an fire places are very safe. An everyone should have a carbon monoxide detector in there homes anyway.

9. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:I could not agree with you less. Carbon monoxide is VERY dangerous and should not be taken lightly. I know several people who have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning from propane and natural gas.

Sometimes with carbon monoxide you don't need a fireman. Sometimes you need a hearse.

I have absolutely nothing against propane or natural gas fireplaces, as long as they are vented properly, like any other piece of gas heating equipment.

10. rebelcowboysnb

I was on the Medical team so that was my job to... Vent-less heaters are safe an very efficient. Yes, you should have a carbon monoxide detector but you should anyway even if you have electric heat.

Millions are being used all over the world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by