Vera or Victor- Silkie help please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aardi, Jul 17, 2010.

1. aardi

aardi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2010
    [​IMG] Howdy Peeps!
    New to the BYC and just stated our flock. The DP and I have 6 to start (granted that also our limit…) Got our little babies the first week in April so they are what… 15 wks (SLW, BSL, BO, EE, Polish and a Silkie). We built a coop, 8x8 inside run, 3x6 hen house and extended side run 8x12 (side run only for day use) and they get back yard time as well (2-6 hours depending on weekdays vs weekends).
    Our littlest hen Vera (Silkie) has us wondering if she is really a she. We’re in hopes of some help. Here are some pic(s) the coop and of Vera, so peep, what say you? Vera or Victor?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    [​IMG] I love your coop!! I'm no expert on silkies but looks like a Victor to me.. [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm afraid I vote Victor also. Your coop is gorgeous!! Are you allowed to keep a roo??

4. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Thats definately a Victor (rooster).

Already has the comb starting and the streamers.

5. aardi

aardi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2010
    Thanks! We saw a coop on BYC and just fell in love with it, we had to “tweak” the designs to make it work, but it was a lot of fun to build and the chick-chicks seem to really love it.
    As for if Vera turns out to be Victor, we’ll get by… Technically we not allowed a roo, but we are close to the airport, so everyone in our hood has double or triple pane windows so no real concern about noise complaints, after all, what’s a roo compared to a 747 flying right over several times a day?
    We’re on a half acre surrounded by a gully/green belt and only really share borders with one neighbor and she has chickens and a roo. She is convinced that we need a roo as well. We have 4 other neighbor’s around us with chickens and they each have roo’s too. So I’m not too concerned. In our hood it’s a lot like “Don’t ask, Don’t tell”. Hehe!
    [​IMG]

6. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    [​IMG] that is a victor

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  7. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Yup it looks like a little boy! How old is he BTW?

8. aardi

aardi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2010
    Our small flock is 15 weeks. We got them all one or two days old. Vera/Victor has/is very, very slow to develop. I think for the first month I kept threatening her that if she didn’t start growing I was going to put her back in the egg as she was sooo small![​IMG]
    She/he is still half the size of everyone else, but it’s really funny as she won’t let anyone push her/him around. Bit by bit (oh who am I kidding with the She/He?[​IMG]) Victor has been taking control of the flock.
    All the girls will be all huddled together doing something and Victor will be out on his own scoping everything out.
    He’s very sweet and while all the girls are starting to bock-bock he still just peeps.
    [​IMG]

9. aardi

aardi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2010
    any other votes?

10. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    Afraid I have to concur.....that looks like a Victor....sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by