Verify Hatching plan! PLease

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Phionex Boy, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    Hey! I just ask that you approve of my incubation plan please. Okay here we go!

Humidity: Dry incubation (Dont add water unless goes under 20%) (last day add Rag full of water)

Turning: 3 times a day. (Put an x on one side and turn it on a egg carton) (sideways, on the carton)

Temperature: Thermostat ( But check at my other thread i need help) ( its called "Temp problems")

Ventilation: One hole on each side (cube) (PLUS FAN!)

LOCKDOWN PLAN!- - - - - - -

1. KEEP LID ON
    2. Keep fan on
    3. Turn up humidity to 60%-70%
    4. Take eggs out of carton and lay them down.
    5. WAIT!

what do you think? have any suggestions? ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

2. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    I've never incubated chicks ( untill today lol) looks right from what I've read...good luck

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    X2

4. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Ok I'm reading to much humidity or not enough ventilation during hatching can cause big problems.but it didn't state exactly what the proper rates were....

5. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon

6. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    PLease check out m other thread i am having trouble with temperature.. its called "temp problems"

7. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Sorry my friend, that's to far above my pay grade... Hopefully someone will be able to talk or walk you through it [​IMG]

8. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Google is a fantastic tool.I got on local sales network in hopes of a bloody hen lol.I may call a few local chicken friends and see if they have a bird I can put eggs under hehe this it should I say it...FOR THE BIRDS

9. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    Looks like a good plan to me! I aim for about 35-40% humidity for the first 18 days, then bump it up to 65-70% for hatching. Where I live, I don't add water until lockdown. Drier climates might need water added from the beginning. I would suggest a sponge instead of a rag for raising the humidity, just because it has a larger surface area. I'm not sure what to suggest for stabilizing your temperature though. I hope someone else can help you on that thread!

10. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Hello,

I wish I could tell you anything substantive and with exacting authority, but I am too new to be completely handing over opinions not based on personal experience.
    The first thing I saw that I remember was an article disagreeing with this plan would be to use a fan during lock-down. (This is the only reason I would put any clout into it) ...fans generally evaporate moisture, no? So if that were to actually be the case than peepers pipping may have a harder time getting out of their shell when zipping, because theoretically their membranes may dry too fast and they can get stuck. When did/do your eggs go in? Mine went in this morning.
    So hopefully we can both get a better handle on the best route to follow.
    There is another article I just read today and when I find it I will try to send it your way to see if you have seen it or at least give you a chance for another opinion.
    That's what I love/hate about so many opinions (when I have too much to learn in a rather short period of time), they can give me a royal headache :(.... Especially when the same people can give you varying information. ie: HUMIDITY....
    Dry hatching... I read one opinion of NO WATER, at all, until day 18 and then add paper towels to channels in Hovabator, then I read 25-35% humidity until day 18 then bump it up to 65-75%....the one thing I did want to mention is that successful Dry Hatching can really depend on where you live...where I am we usually can 'suffer' through higher humidity this time of year, not this year! So I am a little worried about that, as well.
    At this point I have to shud-dup or this note will turn into 5 pages of utter rambling. I am going to go find those two articles and see if you have read them and then hopefully everyone can compare notes and hopefully some success stories.
    Until then, hopefully we can both figure out a way to stress a little less, I'll speak for myself anyway, and stay on the right track to (excuse the expression, but) get 'er done....
    Will look forward to talking to you soon.

Meg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by