Verify Orpington and jersey giant.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bigcountry2231, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Bigcountry2231

Bigcountry2231 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2016
    Galveston county
    Bought in February making sure I have what I bought. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ThreeHens2

ThreeHens2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    The one in the bottom pic on the left sorta looks like it has saddle feathers which makes me think rooster but not sure because I'm not experienced. How old are they?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  3. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    X2

4. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My jersey giants were born on February 1st this year so you can compare them to yours. The top photo shows some hens and the bottom one is my Roo. Giants should have red faces. More indicative is that the bottoms of the feet should be yellow.

5. Bigcountry2231

Bigcountry2231 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2016
    Galveston county
    I'll have to check color , hard to say what I was sold, I bought at the end of February and was supposed to be some black Orpington pullets and jersey giant pullets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The top two and bottom picture supposed to be Orpington pullets and the others supposed to be jersey giant, now trying to figure exactly what I got

6. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    I'm thinking the top two and bottom are the jersy giants and I don't no bout the others I'm thinking maybe those all black chickens. I can't think of what they are called but I don't think you got any black orphingtons :( but someone correct me if I'm wrong please

7. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    There are a lot of characteristics of Jerseys in couple of those birds. The green glossy feathers, the slight horn colored tips on the beak, red faces. If they have black on the bottoms of the feet instead of yellow that would be a fault and indicate there is something other than Jersey Giant in their parentage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by