vermicompost

Fowl97

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Iraq
how do you do it and are there different kinds of worms because my pulleets dont really like worms well they havent tried one that i know of

If it is just a small number of chickens and their droppings - it may not be worth the extra efforts for any composting technique.

If you have other animals or plan on bringing in manure, that would something different.

I copied the 4 page pdf from Colorado State a few years ago. They are talking about vermicomposting horse manure but I think that the technique could be the same. And, the difference in worm species is discussed. Vermicomposting Horse Manure

There's a book that may be in your library called, "Worms Eat My Garbage: How to setup & maintain a vermicomposting system" that may be of help. The author had a worm bin in her home as I recall. I don't think I'd recommend carrying the chicken poop into the house to do the composting. Maybe there a good location outdoors and her approach could be used for everything coming out of your kitchen along with the chicken poop. Here's the author's website: Flowerfield Enterprises

I once had a little flock of hens that didn't seem to want to eat earthworms. It was a surprise!! I think if they've got a lot of them right there underfoot all the time, they'd probably learn to like them, tho'. My current flock does.

Steve

I will post something quick. There is tons of info online but to do something small here is what you do.

I am new to chickens so I did do a little test with chicken droppings, the fresh poop will kill you worms so be careful.

To make a worm bin that will produce tons of worms to feed to your chickens here is what you do. Get a container, I use a decent size rubbermaid with a folding lid. drill some holes in the top. Add things like peatmoss, shreaded newspaper, cardboard. You can use leaves but I dont like it, brings differnt bugs in. you can add some wood shavings.. ok so that is your bedding(dont use garden dirt) then wet you bedding and wait a day or two, make sure its damp, not soggy. Then add eithe RED WIGGLERS or EROPEAN NIGHT CRAWLERS other worms wont reproduce in a bin. Now the first few nights you put a light over the bin(leave it open) or they will crawl out. in one corner of the bin you begin to put the food for your worms (coffee grinds, cardboard(yes cardboard), just any kitchen scraps, watermelon rinds, banana peels, bread, NO meat. In a week or so you fill a differnt corner with food. Now maybe adding small amounts of chicken poop might be ok but be careful. with in a few months you will have tons of worms. Once you notice the worms suck up into the food you added you can leave the light off and they will stay. Worms like moist bedding, not wet and def not dry. G/L

Last edited:
digitS' :

There's a book that may be in your library called, "Worms Eat My Garbage: How to setup & maintain a vermicomposting system" that may be of help. The author had a worm bin in her home as I recall.
Steve

If you want to find the book Steve mentioned, you can go to Worldcat . Search for the book by title, then plug in your zipcode and Worldcat will tell you the nearest library to you that carries it. If your county library doesn't have it, you can request it through inter-library loan. I've borrowed very rare books written in Norwegian that way. If Worldcat can find something like that, it can find nearly anything.​

Believe it or not Mail order is the easiest. You may be able to find the red wigglers at a bait shop. I have European Night Crawlers, there almost the same as a wiggler but are a little bigger. There are lots of places that will ship them to you. Here is the man I got them from, he is great for answering any questions to... G/L http://mypeoplepc.com/members/arbra/trinity/id8.html

We have had worms for a while and have been using a 5 tray gusanito worm factory and it works great. We ended up getting a good deal on it but usually they are fairly expensive. The way ice had mentioned with the rubbermaid tote sounds really cool and for sure way cheaper. I saw a nearby nursery carrying that same thing with a spout in the bottom with a screen filter for collecting tea and a few mini gable vent lookin vents up top for ventilation. It was pretty slick and would surely do the trick. It would be real cool to see the redworms move into the food. I'm sure once we have enough worms to expand my venture I will setup one as well. Aside from that, the book mentioned "Worms Eat My Garbage: How to setup & maintain a vermicomposting system" is a great book on vermicomposting and every worm owner should have it.

There are many instructions online on how to setup a rubbermaid type bin and my first one I did try that, my second one I just tryed making holes in the bottom for drainage and top for air, but in the end after you get the hang of the moisture my bins have NO holes on the bottom. One of my bins (dont laugh) is a old dishwasher, I stripped and used as a outside worm bin.... For me it makes everything much cleaner with no holes for the rubbermaids which I keep in the garage, about twice a year I start the bin over, grabing a good bunch of the worms and there original bedding and add that to a corner of all new bedding and the rest go right into the garden. Now that I have the chickens I will prob let them take there pick first then dump the rest into the garden. There will still be baby worms and plenty of worm eggs plus that rich worm droppings really help the garden. The Europeans are the perfect size for fishing which is why I started the bins. Joey

where do you get thoes worms
Jim's Worm Farm in Pennsylvania. http://unclejimswormfarm.com/?gclid=CKbRwazhu7wCFUiGfgod8XwAVw

California
Sonoma Valley Worm Farm (www.sonomavalleyworms.com), Jack and Lois Chambers have been doing this sincelate 80's; pricing normal; consistent quality.
And to the south, there's theworm dude (www.wormdude.com).

For California, take a peek at http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/organics/worms/WormSupply.htm#Northern Unfortunately, some of these companies are no longer around.

Back
Top Bottom