Vertical Farming or Chicken Gymnasium?

raingarden

Crowing
Apr 12, 2021
Windward Oahu
I don’t know whether to call this “chicken gymnasium” or “vertical chicken farming”. I’m sort of interested in chicken physical fitness and vertical hydroponic culture right now. Anyway, it’s a chicken coop about.

Twenty-two pieces of 2x4x8 lumber were ripped into 66 pieces 1.1 inch x1.5 Inch x 96 inch slats. The framing was all constructed with these slats. No it’s not traditional framing.

It started by making four panels about 8’ x 8’ that would become the walls and covering them with cheap plastic chicken fencing with about ¾ inch openings.
verticalA.jpg

When stood up and screwed together they form cube about 8 ‘ x 8‘ x 8’.

verticalC.jpg

Half-inch hex galvanized poultry mesh was used to make a small skirt and buried apron around the sides to keep the vermin from chewing through the plastic fencing.

verticalD.jpg

Six things that we’ll call platforms were built as panels thirty inches wide and about eight feet long. The platform panels were covered with a thick plastic mesh. The holes in the mesh are about one-quarter inch.

verticalU.jpg

Two platforms were attached to the walls two feet above the ground. One panel (across the back) was attached at four feet off the ground. Two panels are six feet off the ground and one was put on later at eight feet.

verticalE.jpg

To avoid having to work on a ladder, the roof was built on the ground using slats and a white reinforced plastic tarp. The tarp was cut up and stapled to the wood frame. I really messed this part up because the tarp had barely enough material to cover without having an overhanging eaves. There are provisions to splice in a eaves later if needed.

The roof was lifted and set down on top of the walls. I’m old and crippled but the roof structure was light enough to get it up without help.

verticalF.jpg

verticalG.jpg

verticalH.jpg

verticalH.jpg

verticalI.jpg

A bedding of dry leaves was placed on each platform. They are tropical almond (AKA False Kamani) leaves. We have an endless supply. An eight-inch high fence prevents the bedding from being kicked off the platform immediately. There is a section of each platform that is not fenced so bedding that is scratched off one platform falls onto the platform below it.

verticalJ.jpg

verticalK.jpg

verticalL.jpg

A few accoutrements like nest box and font were added. There is no feeder or feed bowl. Feed is just thrown into the bedding of the upper platforms so the birds have to scratch for it. If not picked up immediately, whole corn and some pellets are retained by the ¼ inch mesh on the platforms. As the leaves are scratched and moved around smaller grains and crumble feed can fall through the mesh and land on the platform below or the ground. Nothing is wasted because the birds eventually find all the food.

The birds don’t have any trouble navigating the platforms. They use all the space spending time on the platforms and on the ground. They roost all the way up at the top on a roost bar at the twelve-foot level.

verticalR.jpg

verticalS.jpg

For the time being, four young OEGF/wild-type chickens destined for a future breeding project are being used to test out the new coop. A real test would use a dozen big fat eggers

verticalO.jpg

verticalP.jpg

vericalQ.jpg

I have some concerns and you probably have many concerns. Mostly, I worry about the location under some enormous monkey pod trees with a sixty-.foot high canopy. Money pod trees shed a lot of branches and, sooner or later, a big one is going to go through the roof or collapse the whole thing.

verticalZ.jpg

Believe it or not, I’m not too worried about the plastic chicken fence material. The metal wire skirt and apron will keep the mongoose out. A. big dog could crash right through but we very seldom have stray dogs come around.

I’m not worried about the ¼ inch plastic supporting the chickens. We have been using it for that purpose of in other pens with leaf bedding for a while now. It is strong but not abrasive on the bird’s feet. It does not accumulate compost that will hold moisture. I think it is a good system.

I’m not worried about the strength of the wood slats. We have built other pens using the same size slats without a problem. Once, attached, the mesh provides cross-bracing and the panels become more rigid. The wood will not fail until that big branch falls on it.

I always worry about wood rot. It is always wet and humid here so lumber does not last long. The structure will probably need repairs due to wood ro tin about five years. Buy seven years it will likely be beyond repair.

I am worried about the lack of roof eves. If the wood stays wet because of it then eaves will have to be added.

I worry about relying on staples for holding anything.

I am very curious about the number of chickens it can house. The ground floor space is 64 square feet which should support four to five birds. But, if the platforms are included as usable floor space there is 184 square feet which could support a dozen birds.

I guess the main questions to be answered are:

* Does vertical space count? I suspect it does.
* Could big fat eggers negotiate the two-foot jump up and down to the next platform? I believe they can
* If so, will they be more physically fit due to the effort? I don’t know. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I spent about $400. That’s $6.25 per square foot of floor space or $2.17 per square foot of horizontal bedding space (floor + platforms). Materials were:

22 ea. 2x4x8 fir lumber $200

1 ea. 4 ft x 50 ft roll of plastic chicken fencing $80

1 ea. 3 ft x 25 ft roll of plastic chicken fencing $30

1 ea. 10 ft x 20 ft (pre-cut dim.) plastic tarp $40

35 feet x 36 inch ½-inch poultry wire (I recycled used material)

50 feet x 30 inch ¼ plastic mesh (I recycled used material)

two pounds ceramic coated deck screws $30

2500 staples $20

Last edited:
:caf

Is blowing rain ever enough of a concern to require shelter on the upwind side?

As the owner of a Brahma whose maximum flight altitude is about 18" when powerfully motivated by the idea that someone else has a treat she doesn't, I'd have to say that whether "big, fat eggers" can get up and down will depend on the specific egger.

The tree canopy and surrounding vegetation breaks much of the sideways rain. There will always be a dry place to sit. But, when the winter rains return we'll probably decide that extending the roof line is a must.

When we last had easter eggers (rocks and ameraucana -type) their roosting bar was two feet. When those birds got too old to lay they were put out to pasture. One of those old hens is roosting six or seven feet off the ground in a bush with the quasi-feral birds. But it is more a matter of climbing up in short hops rather than flying up.

I thought about making the distance between platforms 18 or 20 inches but was afraid they would be bumping their head .

Last edited:
Do you eat the nuts from tropical almond? I've seen the trees before (very ornamental when heavily pruned), and the locals told me they were edible.

Do you eat the nuts from tropical almond? I've seen the trees before (very ornamental when heavily pruned), and the locals told me they were edible.
Calling them an almond was a crule joke. They have a small edible nut meat inside. It has a very mild taste. The only way I've ever found to pick them is to select the nut at just the right stage and trim off the husk with a good pair of hand pruning shears. If you are eating them you'll get hungrier as you go along.

kamani (3).jpg

Earlier in the year the nuts are yellow with a fleshy covering. The yellow part tastes very sour but kids like to eat them.

The leaves are large and leatherly. They have a lot of tannin and make water slightly acidic if you soak them. The leaves do not compact very well so they will be deep under the tree about February. I collected twenty 55-gallon trash bags of leaves this year to use for bedding. Under the leaves the ground will be paved with nuts. They hurt my feet to have to walk on them.

Last edited:
I guess the main questions to be answered are:

* Does vertical space count? I suspect it does.
* Could big fat eggers negotiate the two-foot jump up and down to the next platform? I believe they can
* If so, will they be more physically fit due to the effort? I don’t know. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Interesting idea on vertical chicken farming. If your chickens actually use the various levels of vertical space, then maybe you could count it into your square foot calculations. If your chickens pretty much stay on the ground level, then maybe not.

My 3 year old layers are still able to jump up to an initial 2 foot high bar and then up to their final roosting bat at 4 foot high. I used to have a ladder up to the roosting bars, but none of my chickens used the ladder, so, I got rid of it.

I don't know if your chickens would be more physically fit due to the effort of jumping up to higher levels. My chickens are outside all day, scratching and pecking through my chicken run compost looking for worms and bugs to eat. If your chickens are jumping up to higher levels just to roost, taking a nap is not all that physically challenging.

:caf I am interested in how your vertical system is working in real life. My first thoughts were that all those vertical shelves would be a nightmare to keep clean. The small wire looks like it would fill up with dried chicken poo in no time. I don't even use poop boards in my coop because they would be too much work for me to keep clean. I use the deep bedding system and only have to clean out my coop twice a year - and I could probably get by with only once a year in the spring after our long winters (when the chickens live inside the coop 24/7). Could you update your thread and tell us how much maintenance your vertical farming requires in terms of daily/weekly/monthly cleanings? That would be good to know. Thanks.

There are still OEGB in there, but only a half-dozen of them. The rooster pictured above was replaced by two smaller and younger roosters and three more hens added.

In the six months since construction I have added more tropical almond leaves twice and they could use some more again now. The leaves tend to migrate from the top platforms down to the ground and then evenutally disappear into the soil. There is usually some poop here and there on the platforms but it does not accumulate. Other than adding more leaves there has been no maintenance or cleaning so far, but it is only six little bantams.

Their food bowl and water is on the ground but most spend more time up on the platforms. Howevr, one little grey hen spends more time on the ground. The two roosters get along fine for now but they're still a bit young. The roosters seem to spend more time at the higher levels than the hens. Of course, at night they all go to the very top to roost.

One clutch of eggs was laid and hatched in the nest box. Another clutch was laid on a shelf four feet off the ground so I moved them to an incubator to hatch. They are working on a clutch six feet off the ground now. I wish they would only use the nest box because I don't know what will happen when they hatch way up there.

The bottom line.... I still don't know if the vertical space can be counted as true usable square footage. It will require a lot more chicken biomass and a much more competitive atmosphere to answer that. I should have done that by now but get distracted by other things.

Last edited:
There is usually some poop here and there on the platforms but it does not accumulate. Other than adding more leaves there has been no maintenance or cleaning so far, but it is only six little bantams.

Understood. I think full sized laying hens might have more of a problem in your system. I cannot imagine that chicken poo from my full sized hens with full sized chicken poo would not cause a problem with your vertical system.

They are working on a clutch six feet off the ground now. I wish they would only use the nest box because I don't know what will happen when they hatch way up there.

:idunno Sounds like that could be a problem. Chicks don't fly, but they could certainly fall down. Also, I don't know if I like the idea of them laying eggs at all the various levels. Would you need a ladder if they laid eggs on the highest level?

The bottom line.... I still don't know if the vertical space can be counted as true usable square footage.

Maybe give it more time. Since you are the only one I know that is attempting this vertical chicken coop system, I think we will have to wait for you to report your findings.

Back
Top Bottom