very aggressive 2 month old RIR

agarnp

Songster
Jul 20, 2022
Well we had 18 chicks in Feb and decided to integrate 6 of those that I thought were females in with the 6 hens that are already a year old (and one rooster). After a week the new young ones seem to stick together and are thriving well but I am trying to get them used to my handling them. I think the 6 I picked were pullets -- 5 of them seemed to be manageble but there's one that I call Pepper --when I tried to pick her up she attacked me pecking my hand real hard. I let it go that time but today I was picking each one at a time. The 5 pullets I picked up were fine but when i tried to pick Pepper up she challenged me and pecked my hand hard twice. I tried to push her away with my foot and she attacked my leg. Wow- this really surprised me how fierce this 2 month old chick was. I now want to exchange her (maybe it's a him?) for another one in the tractor that I believe is a pullet. Should I just exchange them and hope they will continue as if they were the same 6? They look exactly alike - I guess I just want to make sure the new one wount be ousted b/c they will know its not the same one as before. I really cant leave that aggressive chick there. Has anyone any idea why this one young chick can be so vicious..can femakes be that aggressive so young?

can you post a picture? Hens can be bitey when scared.
I don't have one to send right now but will try to take one tomorrow. She wasnt just bitey she was literally jumping at my leg. If I get a good pic tomorrow I will post. I can see her sibling roos in the tractor have much more prominent combs and are bigger but none has challenged me in that way when I have picked them up.

I don't have one to send right now but will try to take one tomorrow. She wasnt just bitey she was literally jumping at my leg. If I get a good pic tomorrow I will post. I can see her sibling roos in the tractor have much more prominent combs and are bigger but none has challenged me in that way when I have picked them up.
in that case, I'd cull regardless of gender.

wwell
Cull / replace as you have a good option to do so. Or, handle the chicken at night on the roost. They are less likely to be aggressive and may get her use to being handled . Good luck
my husband wount replace that aggressive chick b/c he believes That chick is the leader of that flock (totalling 6 youngsters). I have removed myselffrom the care of those chicks-- he can take care if them b/c if I can't handle every one of those pullets I just wount do it... lets see how that goes. They are roosting in a large kennel near the big ones coop right now b/c the older ones wount accept them up in their roosting area and its awkward to get in there anyway after automatic door closes to try to handle them at night.. If my husband has a change of mind I'll see what I do with that little devil😑

wwell

my husband wount replace that aggressive chick b/c he believes That chick is the leader of that flock (totalling 6 youngsters). I have removed myselffrom the care of those chicks-- he can take care if them b/c if I can't handle every one of those pullets I just wount do it... lets see how that goes. They are roosting in a large kennel near the big ones coop right now b/c the older ones wount accept them up in their roosting area and its awkward to get in there anyway after automatic door closes to try to handle them at night.. If my husband has a change of mind I'll see what I do with that little devil😑
Pull the old switch-a-roo. Your husband will never know. You don't need an attack chicken in the flock. If he asks, just confuse him like my wife does to me.

Pull the old switch-a-roo. Your husband will never know. You don't need an attack chicken in the flock. If he asks, just confuse him like my wife does to me.
lol-we did end up replacing that pullet--it turned out fine but we decided to put one of the Cockerels in there too but he's an impossible little terror at 4 months old - I love the way the RIR look but I really dont like their behavior. At least we have an older rooster (his daddy) that keeps this cocky guy in line most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom