very aggressive behavior....soup time??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beeksnfeet, Dec 26, 2013.

1. beeksnfeet

beeksnfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border
    I recently posted about one of my girls who was missing feathers on her back near her tail. The lady at the feed store said it could be a winter molt starting. A few days passed and nothing more. Just this poor thing who's spot looks bigger, but no wound. Then today when cleaning the girls out I found one of the white plymouth rocks violently pecking the other white plymouth rock. Now she has a huge spot missing in the same place as my smallest buff. The other 2 buffs snap back at the her so far and they seem fine. Once I was able to catch and hold the pecked PR, I brushed her feathers up & this pecking has been going on for a while. There is a scab being hidden by other longer feathers and this area is about 2" long. The buff is not as bad and no scab. What are your suggestions. I was originally going to isolate the first chicken, but now I think I need to get rid of the PR doing all the pecking. I can't even pick her up with out her pecking me harder then ever. Any with suggestions?? She was always alittle nasty, but this is bad. She lays nearly eveyday despite the cold and no artificial heat or light. If I isolate the aggressor, do you think she would change, or is it soup time?:(

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would try isolating her from the flock for at least a week. If that doesn't change her attitude, you might try outfitting her with Pinless Peepers. Do a forum search for information about their use. The last resort might be chicken pot pie, but it's a shame to eliminate a good layer.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    X2 what Sourland said, she may change her behavior if removed form the flock - or she may not, at which time you will have to decide whether or not to keep her. Personally I do not keep any bad actors.

4. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border
    I agree with you both. I will remove her ASAP, but she will have to stay in the garage as I do not have that much room for her to have a seperate cage in the run. Our winter came early and quite hard this year, zero temps, wind and lots of snow, but they do seem to like all of it. I will keep my fingers crossed that by removing her for a while she will wise up. Thanks again

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Obviously a pecking order is a natural behavior but attacking and causing damage is more than just maintaining the top slot.
    You can try the isolation for a week and see if it works but I have a feeling it could even be worse when you put her back as she tries to regain the top slot.
    Chicken and dumplings are really good in cold weather.

6. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border

She has always been the top Diva, but never this nasty. She's just plain old mean. I am going to find her a new home......or pot. I wonder if anyone would like a free, egg laying, nasty chicken?

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How much space and how many birds do you have? Pecking issues are often a stress reaction to overcrowding.

You could offer her for sale or a swap for another layer--with full disclosure, of course. I'm thinking if she were introduced to a new flock, especially one with a rooster or two, Miss Thang would go down a few notches and keep her beak to herself. Just an idea if you're not wanting to butcher her.

8. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border
    Out door space is 8x8, coop is 3x4 with nesting boxes (2) built on the outside. They have access beneath the coop also. We have 3 Buff Orpingtons and 2 White Plymouth rocks. Was only getting 4 chicks, but then chicken math happened. I really do not want to butcher her. I would much rather just give her away. She has been aggressive since she knew she could get away with it.

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    General recommendations are 4 square feet of floor space in the coop, and 10 square feet in the run per bird. This means that your coop is large enough to hold three birds comfortably, and your outdoor space is just a little over adequate. Crowding makes aggressive behavior more of an issue, especially in the winter when cold temperatures force birds inside for comfort.

10. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border

Funny thing is, they are only inside to sleep. They love the cold which surprised me and the entire run/coop is covered with plastic sheeting to keep snow and wind out. They are literally outside unless they are laying or sleeping. She also usually sleeps in a nesting box, and has pecked us hard, nasty like, since she was little. Hopefully I can seperate them today and see what comes of this. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by