VERY Aggressive Broody

thegoodlifefarm

Hatching
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Walton, IN
I don't know where I should post this. I have a MEAN broody.
barnie.gif

Every time I even go near the nesting boxes she gives me the evil eye, just daring me to try to go near her. At first when she went broody, I put on gloves and had certain eggs that I tried to put under her. Two of the eggs she pecked and broke (I think she was trying to peck me and missed) Yesterday I noticed two little fuzz butts under her and another one that had been squashed. I want to clean her nest out in case that little dead chick would make the others sick, but I don't want to bother her in case the other eggs are getting ready to hatch.
sad.png

Any suggestions? I don't know what to do. Is it normal for her to be so mean? I don't want her to injure her babies by my meddling.
hmm.png

My broodies are always mean. Wait until she gets off the nest and you try to pick up one of her chicks!
I would definitely get the dead one out of there right away.
You may not want to take her off the nest if a few are due to hatch, she may not go back on it, then you've got a problem. You could just try to clean as best you can or add more bedding on top without disturbing her too much.

Have you tried talking to her? Sometimes we humans miss the point. Communication is a two way street. Do you yell at her for biting? Or do you ask her to trust you and that you will not hurt her and her babies.
D.gif

She maybe wondering just what your intentions are because YOU do not know what your intensions are. Have a clear mind and just watch the changes in the animals that you handle.
hmm.png

Thank you for responding. I've experienced aggressive behavior, but not this bad.
smile.png

Yes, I have tried talking to her in a soothing voice and I still get the mean response from her. It might have been worse if I didn't try talking to her.
hu.gif

I'll be curious to see how she reacts towards her babies. She is only a year old and this will be her first hatch.
hmm.png

The tiny hen in my avatar, who was always good-natured and always let me pick her up, turned into a homicidal maniac once she settled on the nest. Things did not improve when her chick hatched. She takes on anything that comes near her chick including my huge Orp roo - all the other chickens are terrified of her at this point.
Gotta give her props for being a great mom though......

I have a japanese banty hen who is the DEVIL when she is broody, she goes straight for your eyes
somad.gif
tries to de-skin your arms, etc...She growls, screams, puffs up, you name it. She was never the friendliest to start with, but ooooh boy!

Back
Top Bottom