Very Aggressive Male

BrandonsBirbs

Thanks HopKat for my PFM ♥
Feb 22, 2022
Berkshire, England
In one cage I generally put 4-5 females with 1 male. In all my other cages it works fine and the males behave themselves. However, in one of my cages I am having big issues with a certain male named Bill.

In this cage are:
Bill, Brianna, Birdie, Bella and Briony

Bill never attacks Brianna, but freely mates with her. He does however attack the other three, especially Birdie as she's the smallest. I currently keep him separately with Brianna and the other three girls together.

Originally I thought he was aggressive because he was young but he's now over 9 months old and still behaves like this. Previously he wasn't aggressive to Bella and Briony either. Later I assumed it was the lights we use around their cages that were making him angry.

This Monday I put him with every girl excluding Birdie and there were no signs of aggression that I saw. Yesterday I added Birdie and when I came in this morning he was attacking her and Bella.

I am now unsure what is making him angry, they all let him mate and he was fine yesterday.

I've tried an anti-pecking spray I was previously recommended but it's made no difference.

Any help would be fab, thank you.

I typically remove/cull aggressive birds but if that’s not an option, here’s a few things to try
1) remove everyone from the cage, clean and move “furniture” around and re-introduce bullied females first
2) remove favored female and replace with different female
3) remove male and swap to different group to see if behavior changes
4) if bullied females have been significantly injured, you may want to isolate them for healing before adding/reintroducing male

I typically remove/cull aggressive birds but if that’s not an option, here’s a few things to try
1) remove everyone from the cage, clean and move “furniture” around and re-introduce bullied females first
2) remove favored female and replace with different female
3) remove male and swap to different group to see if behavior changes
4) if bullied females have been significantly injured, you may want to isolate them for healing before adding/reintroducing male
I've tried the spring clean method and I don't wish to move him into another group just due to his age. It may be I have to cull him then. Thank you for your help!

Tried everything to help him.. why he gotta be mean lol
I wish I could tell you. Some are just mean.
QuailWhat.png

Back
Top Bottom