Very aggressive roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenladyinMN, Apr 8, 2008.

1. ChickenladyinMN

ChickenladyinMN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    Isanti, MN
    I had 3 roosters and they were in the same coop together up until the oldest one died. No one ever picked on anyone because they should have picked on the oldest because he had no feet to fight back, but they didn't. Shortly after he died one of the other roo's got frostbite and I removed him so that he could heal and he was maybe away for a week and when I put him back the remaining roo attacked him and he had to be removed again due to injuries. Now I have one roo with 9 hens and he seems to be really aggressive with them. One is bald on her head and back and 3 others are also bald on their backs. Is there a cure for this?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yes, chicken pot pie

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like two things, their pecking order is messed up with the older roo dead and the other gone for a week. With only 9 hens in the mix it may not be possible to reintroduce the other boy. You could try it in a free range situation so he can get away if he needs too.

Second thing is it's spring and the boys are doing more breeding than usual. I've found that saddles work really well for this. I can't get feathers to regrow without them!

Here is a page with info and pics on them.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35856

They're
    cheap and super easy to use. [​IMG]

4. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Hey ChickenLady, I agree with Seminole. Chicken Pot Pie for that Rooster, there are more roosters in the coop.

5. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    there are too many roosters out there that would love a good home... so yeah,,, i agree.. chicken pot pie

i had a buff like that, but he was VERY aggressive to humanes too.. so i got rid of him quick and let a new rooster take his place

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    It's poultry politics at work, a change in circumstances provoked an election. I've had the pleasure to have owned enough mannerly roosters that I will not tolerate anyone misbehaving ever again. Unless you need a particular roo for breeding stock you should be able to easily find a free/low-cost replacement to be boss of the flock & a more considerate husband to the hens.

7. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    the top roo died.so the other 2 roos are fighting for top roo position.once its settled they should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by