1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very Agressive 16week Old Roosters.help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GhostRider65, Jul 5, 2011.

1. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    MY 16 WEEK OLD ROOS ARE CONSTANTLY BEATING UP MY HENS AND OTHER ROOS, THEY KEEP THEM FROM GOING IN THE COOP AT NIGHT, I have 1 injured roo that can't walk well because they jumped on him as a chick and hurt his back or legs. They try to breed him, so i moved him to the baby cage with the 4 week olds, but I can't separate all of them. The worst offenders are the white rocks and my 1 and only white wyandotte roo, they are not meaty enough to butcher yet, what can I do>>>>>>>.?????
    I've thought of separating them all into the baby 10 x10 pen but there's too many roos, of my 43 chicks 34 are roosters...but alot of those are the new babies, in the big chick pen theirs 15 roos, and 5 hens. I will never order from Purely.Poultry again, that's like an 86% rooster , I wanted a few to butcher not a million.
    Anyway any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, cuz I really am at my wits end breaking up fights and dabbing neo on cuts ect. I'm about to butcher them skinny or not.
    Do you think theres any meat under all those feathers when I pick them up then seem like skin and bone yet to me.
    Or what would happen if I turned the 4 week olds out with the hens and locked up all them 15 roosters in a 10 x10 coop, at least then they would only kill each other and not my few hens.. Anyone have any clue how to solve this 1. TYVM in advance, for your knowledge.

2. mywifewasonherenowiamalso

mywifewasonherenowiamalso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    butcher some and save the calmer ones til later. i think purely poultry just resells from other hatcherys. i got my order from them and it shipped from lebonon mo (cackle hatchery) i got silver duckwing yokohamas and they sent some black sex-link roos for packing peanuts, ordered 5 and they put 7 and 5 peanuts

3. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Yah I'm pretty sure mine also came from cackle, and my order has been a nightmare from 1 week before shipment, until they change hatcheries I will not order from them again, for many reasons, though they did fix my doa's and got my order straightened out basically the straightened out reshipped 2 months later order was almost all roosters!!!!!!!!

4. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Yeah i would have to agree, keep the calmer roo and get rid of the ones who keep atcing out and starting fights, feel your pain i have 6 roo and 2 hens, my poor little girls keep getting jumped and i have to put them witht he clamer roo who keeps them form the others, so find one that is doing that i guess, or your fav one. Even if they are not big enough you dont want them hurtting your hens

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I agree. Send the bullies to freezer camp early. Maybe if the other roos watch they will be less inclined to be bullies.

6. mywifewasonherenowiamalso

mywifewasonherenowiamalso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    they will still be good just small. i was happy with them, i like cackle's quality but service sucks, just let purely poultry handle that part

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Separate the hens and 4 wek olds from the testosterone ridden cockerels. Kill the most aggressive cockerels and use them for fryers. Allow the calmer birds to gain more weight for roasters. 34 cockerels out of 43 chicks-- that just isn't right!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by