Very Agressive Pecking

EpicChickens

Hatching
Feb 5, 2015
Hello! I am new here.

Today when I was feeding the chickens I noticed that my Rhode Island White was sitting down among the busy chickens. I picked her up and inspected her for injuries, as she wasn't moving. When I picked her up, I noticed she had a frozen foot! I rushed her inside and put her in a box to warm up. Her foot is now flexible and she is becoming increasingly more active. The only thing preventing my from putting her back in the coop (now with a heat lamp, the reason that it was missing before was because we had just gotten a new one and I was unaware of the temperatures) is that her "sisters" are pecking her. Aggressively. As an example, the moment I put her in with her sisters, one pecked her and she squawked in pain. I have brought her back inside. What do I do? I know that the pecking order needs to be reintroduced, but it's only been half of a day and they're already becoming aggressive towards her. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Could you let them free range together for a bit before you put them back in the pen together? I find if I have to reintroduce any of my girls, the rest of the ladies are much more accepting if they can gradually get used to her again. Foraging seems to keep them so busy that they don't care as much if they have a "new" member. It also gives the reintroduced girl the ability to keep her distance or avoid them until they are more accepting. Also, I think the instinct to flock together might temper the instinct to peck the crap out of someone new.

Maybe. The problem is that I'm currently located in Wisconsin, and my chickens DESPISE snow. They want nothing to do with it, so they're not the kind of chickens to roam around during the winter.

Well, the longer she's away, the harder the intro will be. The more time they spend with the new pecking order, the more of a disruption adding her back will create. What if you take a couple more of your girls and confine them together away from the others for 1/2 a day and also away from the single girl. Then put them all back into the pen at the same time. That way, no one bird will be the "new" bird. They will be so busy sorting order out amongst multiple birds that it will be less likely that one bird will take the brunt of the pecking.

Back
Top Bottom