Very Angry With My Girls!! :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ksmith, May 3, 2011.

1. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    They started egg eating a couple of weeks ago, and I have tried everything!! Rocks in the nest, eggs filled with mustard. It seems to help, but how can I stop this permanitely?? Help me [​IMG][​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    You may need to get or make nest boxes that have a slanted floor to where the egg rolls to a catch tray outside the nest that the hens cannot reach. This way you can insure that you are getting the eggs and they do not have a chance at eating them.

Others may also be able to offer advice as well.

3. mywifewasonherenowiamalso

mywifewasonherenowiamalso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    how often do you collect eggs?

4. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    I'm just a newbie with my first fuzzies probably arriving from Meyers tomorrow, so you people on the forum will have to endure some of my dumb questions. [​IMG] I simply want to learn about all this! The slanted floor on the nest box sounds like a very good idea, but how can the egg roll if the nest box has bedding in it? Or don't you put any in it?

5. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Quote:GREAT question! I am not sure??

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Most of the roll-away nest boxes use specific nest pads made for that purpose. The are plastic, with "directional" pointy things, which allow the eggs to roll in one direction.

Other than that, no, you do not use bedding roll-away nest boxes.

7. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Quote:I am at school from 7 to 3 so my mom checks while I am gone at least 2 times, and by the time I get home they are about done laying. I will get my mom to collect very often.

8. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Once they start egg eating it is almost impossible to break the habit. Unfortunately they teach it to the other hens. Collecting the eggs frequently prevents the problem unless there is a protein defficiancy in their diet. What do you feed your hens?

9. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Quote:[​IMG] arg. I feed them egg layer pellets. I think I am goingto try to make the roll slanted nest boxes. And I have 4 chicks and 2 ducklings, and don't want the adults to teach them to eat eggs!

10. Chickmate

Chickmate Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    SE Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by