Very bad planning...

Croco Rico

Chirping
Apr 6, 2020
Durham, NC
Help, community!

As a still-learning backyard mom, I got into a difficult to manage coop situation...

I used to have 9 chicks. 5 of them were males and had to be relocated (I live in town where no roosters are allowed).

So now I have 3 young hens (black star and easter-egger) and one silkie in the yard. The 3 big girls do their thing and the silkie seemed lonely...

So I got one more full-size to be pullet who is now 2 months old, and 2 baby silkies (3 weeks old). I know, I was not thinking!!!! Silkies are still inside, the pullet in the garage... Fall is there, nights are getting cold, being a single pullet is not comfortable... I tried to introduce the pullet to the bigger hens (actually pullets, they are 4-5 months old) but they pecked on her real bad. Should I wait for the chicks to be a little older and introduce the 3 at the same time? Should I introduce the pullet to the chicks first?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Help, community!

As a still-learning backyard mom, I got into a difficult to manage coop situation...

I used to have 9 chicks. 5 of them were males and had to be relocated (I live in town where no roosters are allowed).

So now I have 3 young hens (black star and easter-egger) and one silkie in the yard. The 3 big girls do their thing and the silkie seemed lonely...

So I got one more full-size to be pullet who is now 2 months old, and 2 baby silkies (3 weeks old). I know, I was not thinking!!!! Silkies are still inside, the pullet in the garage... Fall is there, nights are getting cold, being a single pullet is not comfortable... I tried to introduce the pullet to the bigger hens (actually pullets, they are 4-5 months old) but they pecked on her real bad. Should I wait for the chicks to be a little older and introduce the 3 at the same time? Should I introduce the pullet to the chicks first?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Huh...I really don't know, try her with the chicks first.
How do you integrate? Just putting new member into a flock isn't the best choice in my opinion things can go bad fast. I do a 2-3 week see but no touch integration.
Yes. You can't always just shove 'em in there. See but no touch is a great method.

Thanks, that's what I did this morning. I put her into an enclosure inside the hens enclosure. She found her way out and got pecked and cornered by the big ones :(

Thanks, that's what I did this morning. I put her into an enclosure inside the hens enclosure. She found her way out and got pecked and cornered by the big ones :(
This can happen even in a look but don’t touch situation. It’s chicken society at work. Harder for us to watch than it is for them to experience. They understand far better than we do. How old is she? (If you said it and I missed it, I apologize.) Are they pInning her down and pecking her mercilessly? Drawing blood? If not, you could leave her in there and let them get it over with sooner rather than later. Or, if you are going to put the Silkies in with these other ones eventually, she might be better off going in with them now and bonding with them so she’s not trying to integrate on her own.

ETA - I just reread and saw all the ages. I’d put her in with the older ones. If you have a gentler one, you could try putting it in with your single one for them to bond first, then integrate. I did that this spring with an orphaned 2-week old. Separated her with a 5-week old for a few weeks, mostly to keep the baby company, and put them in with the rest of the pullets without any problems.

Last edited:
Thanks, that looks like a good idea! My Easter Egger is more mellow, even if she pecked at her too... I may try to make them bond separately. Nights are getting cold and I don't like the little lady to sleep by herself...

Back
Top Bottom