VERY bald chick.....plz help PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lesalynn, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    Ok, this is one of the chicks I hatched out in my first batch the last weekend of May. Out of the 15, he is the only one losing so many feathers. A LOT of feathers. I thoroughly checked him out...no bugs...no lesions....he just looks like someone has been getting him ready for the cookpot..... [​IMG] Only 2 others others are losing feathers at all, and they are just losing a few around the neck. They are 6 weeks old. At first, when he was losing them (he was the first to start, a couple weeks ago), I thought maybe they were moulting. But he looks horrible!! Well, just naked, I guess. Plz look at the pics and tell me what you think.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] make sure ya'll check out the rest of the flock on the other thread I ran on here.....the one titled " On a better note---update on my 6-week olds---PICS [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG] wow! I hope someone can help you! [​IMG] bump.

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Looks like there are pin feathers coming in, if you are certain there are no bugs, then I'd up the protein level and see what transpires.

Birds go through several moults in their first year, however you hardly ever notice it except for the feathers in the run and coop.

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
  5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    looks like some of the pin feathers are broken, are your chickens pecking him?

6. Lesalynn

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    Well, I've never seen them actually aggresively pecking at him. They all run at one another here and there. But you bring up a good point, he could be the victim of bullying when I'm not around. It might be best if I separate him from the others for a bit. I upped their protein last week. Figured I'd use some of my quail starter....it's 30%. I heard you could do that, if they're not getting enough. We also give them veggies and fruit out of the garden on a daily basis. I've even given them mashed up boiled eggs. As much as I feed, I know they can't be hungry. I do live in Louisiana, tho, and it has been very HOT here lately.....very humid, too. Averaging about 100 degrees with humidy factored in. Could that maybe be a factor??

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:that definitly could be a factor yes [​IMG] Also if you dont want the hassle of separating him you can buy anti-pick creams and sprays at your feedstore if there good, or maybe you could order it...But you wouldnt need that if you separated him . Hes handsome

8. Lesalynn

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    Thank you, usschicago1. I think he looks a bit like his dad (whom I'm just a lil fond of) I have pics of the whole bunch on another thread here.

9. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Heat can be a factor, it is possible he just isn't eating enough to keep his protein level up given the temperatures and therefore what is normally a gradual and almost invisible event has become quite obvious.

100+ degrees presents problems for chickens, hopefully he is getting some relief from the heat.

If you separate him from the others make sure he has a buddy if at all possible, a single chicken is a very lonely creature, they do need a companion.

10. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Feathers or not, he's handsome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by