very beginner question...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JerseyHen, May 2, 2011.

1. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    I feel silly asking, but I want to learn so here it goes...

What is a "project bird"? I looked for the definition in the forum but couldn't find it. I imagine it means the birds that are born to a breeder before the goal is achieved. So early generation birds that haven't yet acheived the look/characteristics that the breeder is trying to create. Is that correct?

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Pretty much.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    A++++

4. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Indeed. Also often used to describe works in progress for variations not yet recognized by the APA/ABA standard. i.e. I have some Buff Barred Cochins that I'm working with...buffxbarred, next generation buff barredxbuff, etc...until the black baring goes away, and just buff with cream/white barring remains...project birds. Then of course comes the fun part of once you get the color right, working on the other attributes...foot feathering, wing carriage, fullness of rump feathers...oh, tell me why we do this again?...lol

5. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    That is really neat. Thanks for the answers. There is just so much to learn about what I thought were simple birds. Little did I know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by