Very big egg

Pegbud

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2021
One of my chickens laid a very large egg today. I do not want to encourage this. I want the chicks to be comfortable. Large eggs are NOT comfortable. What should I do? Does it have to do with what I am feeding them.?

I have never found a large egg but here is my opinion. It is normal for them to sometimes lay a large egg. There is no way to prevent it, it's just a natural thing. Sorry to say but laying eggs aren't really something we know about (we never will know what it feels like to lay an egg)- but it's just something they must do. Make sure they have plenty of comfortable bedding in the nest-boxes. I'd like to see this large egg. Have you opened it up? Pls send pics! It might be a twin egg with 2 yolks, a true wonder!

Thank you. It really freaked me out. Eggs until now have been medium to large, but not super large like the one this morning. I am not sure how to post a photo here. I did change from organic crumble back to not organic. They were not eating the organic, turned their beaks up at it. They also get millet and cracked corn. And they have several hours outside of the run. Also kale and yogurt. Variations each day. I had been giving them bugs but someone mentioned that the bigs might not be raised well, so I stopped. So much to think about. And I love my chicks. Four of them.

I am not sure how to post a photo here
Screenshot_20210411-190041~3.png

Thank you. It really freaked me out. Eggs until now have been medium to large, but not super large like the one this morning. I am not sure how to post a photo here. I did change from organic crumble back to not organic. They were not eating the organic, turned their beaks up at it. They also get millet and cracked corn. And they have several hours outside of the run. Also kale and yogurt. Variations each day. I had been giving them bugs but someone mentioned that the bigs might not be raised well, so I stopped. So much to think about. And I love my chicks. Four of them.
The food doesn't change the egg size. If they enjoy treats, don't take them away

Back
Top Bottom