1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very Bloody Chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlover89, Feb 10, 2013.

1. chickenlover89

chickenlover89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    Hi all, I just went outside now that the storm is finished, and I found one of my chickens wings were very bloody and there was blood all down her side. i also found that they spilled all their food into the snow, and they wouldn't eat it, so we think they pecked her feathers for food. We really need help on what to do. Most of the blood has stopped and is dried, but we don't know what to do! Please help!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It sounds more like a small predator got into your coop. It could have gone after the feed, or they could have knocked it over in trying to escape it.

You need to clean up the wound, much as you would on yourself, and apply a little antibiotic ointment or ceram. Be sure it has no "caine" iingredients like benzocaine or cetacaine. You will probably have to separate the injured bird until the wing is healed, or the others will indeed peck at the wound.

3. chickenlover89

Jul 26, 2012
    Thank you, and we have a feather picking product we could put on that stops the other chickens from pecking on the place that is injured, would that work? And do we clean it with water?

4. chickenlover89

Jul 26, 2012
    Also, will she dry off if we wash her with water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by