Very bloody egg with lump inside

veetown707

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 21, 2018
Sebastopol, California
Hi chicken folks

My Easter egger laid her first egg of the season and it was extremely bloody inside. The whole white was dark red and there was a large gooey red lump in it as shown in the image. The egg itself was oddly shaped, oblong, and had a streak of different color on the shell.
I've seen plenty of meat spots in my day but this is beyond that. The chicken is not acting any different and appears happy and healthy. We did have a series of storms that may have stressed the flock. Anyone ever seen one like this? Is it a concern or just a super large blood vessel?

Attachments

• 20230108_120258.jpg
    20230108_120258.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 23
It's a super large blood vessel broken as the yolk was coming down the oviduct. You will likely never see this phenomenon again. It happened once in my flock and hasn't occurred again in fifteen years.

It's a super large blood vessel broken as the yolk was coming down the oviduct. You will likely never see this phenomenon again. It happened once in my flock and hasn't occurred again in fifteen years.
Thank you so much for your answer! I don't think many people have seen this, I posted it on my Instagram too and no one knew anything. This is a relief. And it makes total sense, we had thunderstorms and I think it was a stress response.

Back
Top Bottom