1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very bloody egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AQHAchick22, Apr 8, 2014.

1. AQHAchick22

AQHAchick22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    One of my customers sent me this picture...I've seen blood spots in eggs but holy cow...should I be worried about the hen that laid this egg?

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Weird, somebody else just posted almost the same thing yesterday, must be the time of year. If it is just a one time thing I wouldn't worry about it, figure it was just a bigger blood vessel rupture than normal, since small ones are pretty common especially in older layers. The Poultry Site article has a list of possible causes if anything else rings a bell http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/28/blood-spots
    Here is the thread of the other persons https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...the-egg-white-albumen-to-be-stained-blood-red

3. Quailgirlie

Quailgirlie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    Binbrook, ontario
    I just posted the same problem. Although I didn't see it but someone who eats my eggs been having it happen!

4. AQHAchick22

Apr 12, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    It's just frustrating not knowing who it's coming from and now I'm worried about selling the rest of the eggs and having it happen to someone else.

My hope is that it was a one time vessel rupture. I don't think the egg was sat on and started to develop, plus I think I would see veins...

5. MichelleVA

MichelleVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Weird!

6. AQHAchick22

Apr 12, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    Quote:Thank you!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I had a welsummer that started laying those every time she laid an egg. After 6-8 months she stopped laying altogether. If you can zero in on which chicken it is, you may check on this.

8. AQHAchick22

Apr 12, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    Quote:I haven't found another one like that yet (or heard from somebody that they did) so I'm hoping it was a one time thing...I just wish I knew what chicken it came from!

9. Mordecai

Mordecai New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    try isolating one chicken at a time to check which one lays bloody stuff. Can also check the chickens for signs of inflammation blood on the feathers and other abnormalities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by