Very concerned about my young chicks neck and

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WickedChicksNH, Nov 19, 2019.

1. WickedChicksNH

WickedChicksNH Crowing

Oct 2, 2017
    New Hampshire
    My little one is a month old
    She is still inside with me and her sister (they could be boys I dont know i hatched them)

Everything has been great but yesterday I noticed those one suddenly likes to tilt her head a lot, and stretch her neck, I am going to try and explain best I can

He neck seems longer than it was or even longer than normal
    You know when chickens bop their head up and down to look around?
    She does it more than what seems normal, and it's always bopping to to her left, sometimes it looks like she stretches it and just slowly starts to let he fall to the side, but then she lifts it up

When I hold her in my cupped hands up to my chest she will rest her head right into my hand
    She will eventually climb up on my shoulder, doesnt prefer to just lay in my hand.
    It almost reminds me of when my ducks used to look at me because they cant move their eyeballs so they have to tilt their head to see

It also looks like her neck had a little crook or bend

I know this isn't totally normal but am hoping its just a quirky

She is active, eats, plays, drinks, does all the things chickens love to do, she gets vitimans, medicated crumble, nothing high for her to get up on and fall and her herself.

Nothing else seems wrong
    Any ideas
    Oh she is half silkie and half ???
    20191119_154151.jpg
    20191119_154115.jpg

20191119_153803.jpg

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It might be wry neck (torticolis, crook neck.) What vitamin product are you using? I would use something with vitamin E in it, such as Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell 1 ml daily. Hopefully it helps. I am not good with breeds or sexing, but it is a cutie.

WickedChicksNH likes this.
  3. WickedChicksNH

WickedChicksNH Crowing

Oct 2, 2017
    New Hampshire
    The save a chick vitimans i put in water

Thank you for the advice I will look into getting some vitiman E

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    WickedChicksNH likes this.
  5. WickedChicksNH

WickedChicksNH Crowing

Oct 2, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Thank you it has got a lot worse in just a few hours
    She cannot hold it up at all and her head twists up

She did manage to eat, and I put her beak in the water for her to drink
    I put some sage in her food for now, I was reading the wry neck article
    It gave some spices that are high in vitamin E
    I made her a cozy bed for her to lie in as it seems like she was having a hard time laying on just a flat surface

Her sister is worried about her, she goes over and checks on her and will lay with her , they are the only 2 in the pen
    She has the will to do everything just having a hard time holding her head up

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sunflower seed, salmon, tuna, and chopped almonds are also good sources of E, and just a small amount would be needed. If you can get the E capsules, it might be easier to give. Thiamine or B1 is also good to give since either one in a deficiency can cause wry neck. I hope that she gets better. It sounds like she is struggling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: