1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

very concerned for my fav only hen, Princess

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicksa, Sep 17, 2012.

1. chicksa

chicksa New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    my 3 yr old pet chicken is not herself the last two days. Shes not wanting to leave her coop..and is not interested in anything i give her to eat. She is not eggbound..vent is clean..and she'll walk around if i place her out in the yard, but something is wrong..shes never done this. She did have (a little) green poop yesterday..also not like her. So, ive brought her in for the night in a large kennel. Shes used to coming indoors, knows the house. Shes extremely spoiled, and is my only chicken. I love her with all my heart. kinda freaking out right now..not sure what to do, and theres so much info online!!! Her regular coop..on the deck is under a pair of ring necked doves i got this summer. I have been treating them for some kind of bugs i saw on them. I havent seen Princess scratching ect. C

2. WaterFowl209

WaterFowl209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Turlock,CA.
    Does she have any loss in color try giving vitamin b and see if she acts better, silly question but do you think she's trying go broody.

3. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    your doing the right thing. keep an eye on her and let her know ur there for her. i had a hen years ago, she was the meanest hen of them all, always picking on her sisters even the cat ran from her. one day she got sick, and then she just got worse, her comb lost all color and her eyes just lost everything. i would go out and sit by her and pet her and talk to her. i put some food and water next to her. i went out every day after work and this went on for like 3 weeks. i keep going out expecting her to be dead and then one day she looked up at me, started eating, drinking and she slowly started coming back to life. when she was healthy again she was the nicest hen i've ever had. i guess maybe her near death experience changed her life.

4. chicksa

chicksa New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    Thanks for your reply..Princess hasnt been laying eggs regularly for some time..I even bought some the other day..maybe shes mad at me!!! LOL!! Didnt think she noticed!!! ;) She has never really seemed interested in sitting on eggs..hasnt had one in about a week. I did check for any egg-like bulge..and nothing!

5. chicksa

chicksa New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    Thanks so much for your reply. My girl is the sweetest ever..were pretty tight really. She has a llama boyfriend and usually is out and about with him and his alpaca friend..until I come home..then she greets me ect. Recently I got a 4th dog..a sweet Pit Bull rescue. For some reason Princess doesnt like her ..competition maybe..and Princess was charging at her, so I actually built a fence to separate the dogs from the ruminators and Princess!! Princess still tries to charge at "Shayna" through the fence..no kidding..it quite a sight! The Pitty is scared of her..for good reason. She hasnt been around any of the dogs/cats ..which she was used to before I got the new dog. Normally she comes up to the door or inside for treats, and that has stopped more recently. I tried giving her pasta..sunflower seeds..and cottage cheese..nothing..then yogurt..still no I will give her some pedialyte if she doesnt eat tomorrow..I dont want her to starve/shut down? I'll bring my magifying glass home from work tomorrow to have a better look at everything. I know you all understand what a great little pet Chickens are..I just love them!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Good luck with your hen!

7. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    we got a pittie !! sweetest girl you could ever meet. here's susie :)
    [​IMG]

8. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    The green poop suggests she is not processing food. Have you checked her crop for impaction? Any sour smell coming from her beak? Have you wormed her recently?

9. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! Hope your hen feels better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by