Very concerned! What would you do??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Dec 30, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We are suppose to travel to Texas this morning to pick out our new GSD; something I have looked forward to for weeks, okay months even. [​IMG]
    Problem is, I started coming down sick with a sore throat and sinus trouble the night before last and now it is in full bloom. I haven't checked for fever because our electronic thermometer isn't working accurately.
    I will be heartbroken if we don't get to go pick out our pup today. If we don't go today it will be several weeks before we can plan another visit, due to DH's work schedule. We have everything planned for today, including a babysitter for our other GSD.
    On the other hand it would kill me if I were to make this litter of pups sick.
    I have thought about stopping at walmart to buy a thermometer before we leave town and if I am running a fever I could always stay in the vehicle and let my DH pick out our pup.
    I don't know what to do! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    As far as I know human colds cannot pass to animals... I would load up on Theraflu and go for it.. Maybe keep some hand sanitizer with you of you are worried.. Plus I'm sure the breeder would appreciate you not spreading it to HIm/her.... LOL Now go pick out your new baabbaaayyy....

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

What about wearing a 'flu' mask? And using lots of sanitizer?
    Maybe?

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Actually my main concern was for H1N1, since my symptoms match. Dang! I worked with a special population for years and never got sick. Now I'm home all the time, except for weekly trips to town and I've been sick twice this winter!
    According to information from the CDC website, we humans can pass H1n1 to our pets, but they can't pass it to us. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Here's what the CDC says about it:

What animals can be infected with the 2009 H1N1 virus?
    In addition to humans, live swine and turkeys, a small number of ferrets (which are highly susceptible to influenza A viruses), domestic cats and dogs have been infected with 2009 H1N1 virus. In addition, 2009 H1N1 virus infection was reported in a cheetah in the United States. CDC is working closely with domestic and international public and animal heath partners to continually monitor reports of 2009 H1N1 in animals and will provide additional information to the public as it becomes available.

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Actually my main concern was for H1N1, since my symptoms match. Dang! I worked with a special population for years and never got sick. Now I'm home all the time, except for weekly trips to town and I've been sick twice this winter!
    According to information from the CDC website, we humans can pass H1n1 to our pets, but they can't pass it to us. [​IMG]

I didnt know that... I like the flu mask idea.. If you dont go you are gonna be soo upset.. Ive seen you getting so excited waiting.... PS I'm sorry your sick....

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Flu mask is a good idea. But I'm going to say Congrats on your Pup and sorry you have the flu.[​IMG]

8. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    yup go with the flu mask and as hard as it will be , NO puppy kisses for now [​IMG]

9. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Take a cold pill and go,,,,,,,,,,,

10. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Gee Kat, this is a hard one. I know how anxious you are about getting that puppy, and that you have all the components in place to go, but think it over. If you really are coming down with H1N1, you're gonna be miserable for this trip. Taking cold drugs and remedies is fine, but then you are sick and doped up. If it's what you think it is, you'll be carrying it along with you to who ever you see along the way. A stop at a rest area, restaurant or gas station maybe? Poor hubby will be miserable knowing that you are miserable. And, how can you have a puppy and not cuddle and snuggle with it?! If you can do it, I would recommend postponing the trip for at least a few days to determine what you really have and give yourself a chance to start to recover from it. Sorry to be the voice in the wilderness that says "don't do it" but ya gotta consider all aspects.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by