Very confused about molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DianeB, Sep 14, 2009.

1. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    I have three hens that are reaching their 8th month. They are in healthy and active with no signs of distress or disease. However, their lay rate has decreased. Their tail and wing feathers look longer and are a bit tattered. Like they did when they were growing out this Spring. Also, there are a few feathers I find here and there and their grooming time seems to last longer. I have checked and checked for mites and haven't found any. They are pretty isolated (for miles) from other poultry. So, I don't know how they would get mites, if they did have them.

Could they be starting to molt? I was under the impression that hens don't molt until their second year. Do they do mini molts before that?

They are all some type of laying hybrid. Don't these molt after 18 months?

DB

2. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    Never mind, I just looked at them again and I do think they have mites. @#*@$ it.

DB

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Sorry to hear this. [​IMG]

4. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    Thank You

I am pretty sure that they got it at the vet a few weeks ago. They have been dust bathing and grooming intently since then. Obviously, the vet office is not very clean. Needless to say, I will not be returning to them.

DB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by