VERY confused by legal speak in Arlington, TX!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by FluffYou, Jan 30, 2012.

1. FluffYou

FluffYou New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    I am somewhat confused by the "legal speak" of the law in Arlington, TX regarding the keeping of fowl. The law states, and I quote:

Quote: Now, I took this to mean that you can keep up to four fowl on LESS than 1/2 acre--it is only committing an offense if you "keep or maintain MORE than 4 fowl on 1/2 acre of less at a distance of closer than 50 feet". AKA, you can keep four chickens on less than a half-acre but you need a half-acre to keep over four. Other people on the web, however, are translating this as you must have 1/2 acre to keep up to four rather than "more than four." The above quote is direct from the rule book, Section 5.02-A (exact wording). Here is a link to the actual document: Arlington TX Animal Law PDF

Does anyone else translate it the way I do or am I kidding myself LOL?

Thanks for your help!
    Michelle

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with you.on less than 1/2 acre you can keep up to 4 Fowl (I assume they don't count wild birds or you better not have a birdhouse or bird feeder, or a tree with a nest). BUT you must be at least 50 feet from your neighbors house, tent, live in camper, guesthouse etc.

RobertH

3. KrisH

Oh and [​IMG]

4. KrisH

5. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio!!

I agree with your interpretation of the law. Under 1/2 acre, up to 4 fowl, and must be 50 ft from neighbor's habitation. Hope you prevail.

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I think it is pretty clear.

It states, "if he keeps or maintains more than four (4) fowl on one-half (1/2) acre or less."

It states 1/2 acre or less. That means most people living on a residential lot in Arlington, Texas, can have up to four chickens if he/she can keep the chickens at least 50 feet from a neighbor's habitation.

Those who have more than a 1/2 acre can have more than four chickens. But you would have to find out what the requirements are if you have a residential lot larger than a 1/2 acre.

I am sure there is a noise ordinance that would prevent you from owning a rooster, though.

(I was able to find the information.) You can't have a rooster unless your land is zoned agricultural.

B. Keeps or maintains more than ten (10) fowl on more than one-half (1/2) acre but less than one (1) acre at a distance closer than fifty feet (50') from any habitation located on another's property.

C. Keeps or maintains twenty-five (25) fowl or more on one (1) acre or more at a distance closer than fifty feet (50’) from any habitation located on another’s property.

D. Fails to keep any fowl of the Order Anseriformes from being at large; or

E. Fails to keep any fowl of the Order Galliformes contained within a coop or pen.

F. Keeps or maintains roosters except in an area zoned as agricultural. (Amend Ord 02-109, 10/1/02)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  7. FluffYou

FluffYou New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    Thank you guys! I am very glad you agree! Now to start planning my coop project... [​IMG]

8. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    You are correct, in fact it is almost the exact same as where I live except we can have five (I got off with six).

9. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

10. karenfut

karenfut New Egg

Nov 14, 2012
    As far as a rooster I live in Arlington Texas and i can hear a rooster not sure where he is but cant be too far I know we also have neighbors with horses and was told they are grand fathered in so maybe that would be the same with roosters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by