Very dark brown eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by steigersa, Dec 14, 2011.

1. steigersa

steigersa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Hudson
    I have some friends who etch eggs and they are looking for very dark brown chicken eggs that aren't fertile. Does anyone know where they can get them? Thanks in advance.

2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    You can ususally find darker brown eggs for sale at the store marked 'free range' or just plain 'ol 'brown eggs'.

If you are looking for the super dark, chocolatey brown eggs- those are usually laid by french black copper marans, and since they are highly valued birds (in the case of pure-bred, non-hatchery stock) the eggs are usually pretty pricey. Like up to 30 or 40 dollars a dozen pricey. I think most people sell them as hatching eggs (meaning fertile).

I dont know where to get those super dark colored eggs just for etching- maybe put out an ad on CL, maybe a local person will have them?

3. steigersa

Oct 12, 2011
    Hudson
    Thank You Suzettex, I had no idea they would be that much money. I'll tell my friends, I'm sure they don't want to pay that much.

4. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    They could take a regular egg and soak it in a cup of strong tea or coffee for a few days. A lot cheaper. The longer you soak it, the darker it gets.

5. steigersa

Oct 12, 2011
    Hudson
    Yes they were talking and they are going to do it with dye. Someone has some of the eggs and they turned out just beautiful once they were etched.

6. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    If your location is Hudson as in Hudson, NY... you could post in the NY thread and see if anyone local sells BCM eggs. Maybe they have some that they'd sell/trade to you already blown out for decorating purposes?

7. steigersa

Oct 12, 2011
    Hudson
    Thank You itsy, I'm in Hudson, Oh. But I can see if anyone in Oh. has them that's a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by