Very deep gashes, please advise**Update, graphic pics**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'm beating myself up so please just give me sage advice at this point.

My favorite hen has three deep gashes across her back. Two are through all layers of skin. The third is pretty serious. It's about 1/4" deep just above her tail...goes under a little as well.

What I've done so far:

1. Rinsed with warm water.
    2. Put betadine wash on all the wounds making sure I got it in as much as deeply as possible.
    3. Rinsed the betadine wash off, didn't flush it out of the wounds though...thinking I should have.
    4. Patted wounds dry. Used a hair dryer to get the rest of her dried off.
    5. Put triple antibiotic ointments in and around all the major wounds.
    6. Covered all wounds with non-stick pads.
    7. Wrapped with t-shirt, then vet wrap to hold everything in place.
    8. Put electrolytes/vitamins in water, left crock of food for her.
    9. Placed hen in small dog crage, on heating pad, covered and quiet.

I will re-wrap her tomorrow. What should I get to do a better job tomorrow? Should I give her oral antibiotics? I have amoxicillin capsules (250mg)..can I use those and how much?

I feel like a turd....I knew better but let them out to free range. I'm sick about this.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Other than taking her tho a avian vet. You have done what you can for the hen.

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Please, DONT beat yourself up about this. Your doing more than most people would. I'm sure she'll be fine, as much as your doing for her. I dont even think a VET would do much more than what you've done. I've had a little CHICK who got attacked by my HUGE dog (who almost for sure had great dane in him) And had many wounds along her back. We put neosporin on her and put her in a seperate cage and she healed wonderfuly. . . We probably SHOULD have done more, but we didn't, and she did fine.
    good luck [​IMG]

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have had a chicken with some serious cuts on her sides due to a roo and another one that was severely mauled by a dog. My treatment of choice is pretty much hands off. I filled the sink with warm water and betadine and placed the hen in to soak for about 10 minutes. The warm water seemed to sooth her and that way I knew that betadine was reaching any wound that I couldn't see under the feathers. I didn't bandage either hen. The one that got spurred by the roo had some really bad cuts, one to the bone and the skin was very ripped up. I put ointment on it but that seemed to just stick the feathers down and cause her to be uncomfortable, so the next night I did the betadine/warm water soak again. I kept her inside and warm until the areas were well scabbed over. She has since healed beautifully and her feathers even came back, which surprised me considering the amount of skin that was gone.

The second hen that was mauled by our (ex) dog I treated the same way. This happened just about three or so weeks ago. I did the betadine/water soak with her twice, too. She is now beautifully healed and the scabs have fallen off, revealing nice healed skin. The only thing I did extra for her was to put an apron on her so the roos wouldn't open her back up. She does spend the nights in the house for now because she lost a lot of feathers and her down "fluff" so I figure she doesn't have much to keep herself warm outside.

I know others recommend ointments or creams, but I learned with Frack, my first chicken patient, that not only did the feathers stick down to the ointment, but also when she took a dust bath, wow, what a mess!

Good luck with your girl!

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Thank you all for your help and encouragement. I think tomorrow I'll need to remove all the bandages as I doubt that any air can get to the wounds.

Do I have to worry about the hen picking at them herself? The gash on her lower back is an area she can reach if she wants.

I'm filing the "Wound Care for Poultry" in a place where I can find it...although I hope I won't ever need it again. Thanks!

7. tassiedevil

tassiedevil New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    Yes, wounds on chooks heal remarkably well. Antibiotic powder or antibiotic (purple) spray for livestock (available from Vets here) i have found to be very good. Leave chook to rest in warm place with food and water. I have found will (most often)get better or die fairly quickly! Keep wound dry. What got at it? Bird of prey?

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
  9. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I bit the bullet and took her to the vet...it tormented me all night long. Each time I let my sick Basset out (which was about every 30 mins. throughout the night) and tried to doze off all I could see were the graphic images of my poor chickie.

I guess I'll have to change her name to "Automatic Pop Door" since I spent that money at the vets [​IMG] Oh well, no regrets. I love this little hen.

10. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i hope your little hen gets better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by