1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very dirty ducks, Normal...How long to wait (please read) ????????????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by happyhens44, Jan 13, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Ok its around and were from 0 below- 30 above.... and My ducks are really dirty because they cant swim in this weather

*is there anything you do to try to keep them clean?

*or do you let them be dirty tell spring?

* how warm does it have to be to let them swim?

2. Slimson

Slimson New Egg

Feb 10, 2007
    You can let them swim. The water is warmer than the outside air.

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    ok. So if Its 20 degrees, and I put a bin full of warm water down, it will be ok to swim?

4. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    :lol:Heck yes

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    honeslty I wouldnt use warm water- will kinda shock their systems because then they have to deal with the cold air and are accustomed to cold at this point-warm water freezes faster-use cold water they will be fine:)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine have been trying to crack the ice on their pools all week untill I crack it open for them, take out as much ice as I can and they are right in there having a good old time. Mine will spend more time in the pool than standing on the snow. Fill them a tub, you will be surprised how much they wanted a bath

7. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I changed my water today because it was dirty but mainly because they could only ice skate [​IMG] LIke sonew said the warm water might shock em and it may. But I did the myth buster on that hot water coldwater which one freezes first thing. Hot water lasted much longer. Try it yourself [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    As soon as I can get water out of mu hose, they get new pool water. They have down coats remember? Also their legs and feet are designed to handle very cold weather. They don't care if it is 20ยบ out. They want to swim [​IMG]

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:WHAT?? I said that forever and DH harped on me about using warm water because it freezes faster--you when you get told the same thing over and over you tend to start believing! hmmm [​IMG] to DH I was right!! [​IMG]

10. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] good to see u were right !!!! make sure u rub it in...lol

I changed the water today and they were racin round and round...I am able to use a tank heater so the pond never freezes
    and they swim alot... I cant imagine (nor could they) if they couldnt swim and keep clean..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by