Very dirty eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennyhaschicks, May 6, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    We just got some more eggs today from a farmer down the road. I hope they are fertilized since he said his roos have been busy, busy. [​IMG]
    Anyway, they are filthy. Should I spiff them up a bit before putting them in the bator? How would I do this?

Thanks

2. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I had some very dirty eggs too...I just gently rubbed the dirt off under running,warm water from the tap. My eggs hatched with no problem.

3. billson1

billson1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    lecenter minnesota
    use a capfull of bleach in the water to disinfect

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Dont use bleach. That is wayyy to harsh for the eggs. Brinsea makes a great disinfectant for eggs, and incubation equiptment. Otherwise, just rinse them off with warm-hot water and wipe the dirt off with a clean towel.

5. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I don't think I would dare use bleach. Thanks though.

I will just wipe them gently with a damp cloth I guess. They are yuck. [​IMG]

thanks

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    There are some cases when it is needed to wash eggs with a diluted bleach solution. Really bad goose eggs are handled in this manner. I have 5 I have hatched. 3 from disgusting eggs. I followed a PDF document from clorox on disinfecting waterfowl eggs.

For chicken eggs I would try to clean them off as best as possible with a very slightly damp paper towel. Elbow grease usually will do the trick.

7. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I let my eggs towel dry on paper towel.

8. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Ok I have used the damp paper towel and these eggs aren't coming clean. Do they need to be really clean before they go in?

9. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I took a cloth and rubbed them. Most of them didn't come clean though. Will this pose a problem later?
    I shuddered when I read bleach at first. I don't use bleach in my house so I winced when I read of using diluted bleach to clean the eggs. I guess you can though.. I learned something new today.:eek:

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Here is a thread on info when i was hatching very nasty goose eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35454&p=1

All of my eggs where disinfected using the bleach solution. A couple were just too far gone and afte a few days of incubation you could see the black bateria growing in the shell.

Toward the end is good links on handling and disinfecting all types of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by