Very disapointed:(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Candyhl, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Candyhl

Candyhl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Well I had my very first chicks ordered from Meyer Hatchery, twice. I guess it's a sign that I really should wait for spring. When I first placed my order online I recieved an email that they had my payment but no record of what I ordered. So I called them and she corrected my order because their website gave me a wrong availability, so instead of a hatch date of October 29, they would not be available until November 19. ( this was my first second sign) So anxiously awaiting the arrival of my very first chicks, getting my coop ready, etc., since the end of September. Monday, October 29, I recieve a phone call from the hatchery to let me know that something happened with the hatch of the 29th, so I would have to wait. I explain about the confusion with my order and the change to November 19th hatch date, and she had no record of that hatch date! I would now have to wait until January for my chicks! Um, yea, that's ok, I will find someplace hopefully more reliable to order from. Serves me right to try to order a small number in the fall. I chose them for the reputation and the fact that they were closer to Pa. I don't want to order from Texas or California because of the shipping distance and charges.
    I know there are so many breeds out there, but I really want to get Buff Orpingtons for my first and then RIR's but they aren't something I can just pick out of my local newspaper. :(

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

aw! I'm sorry for your complications. try craigslist, you can usually find good breeds fairly locally[​IMG]

3. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Sorry to hear of your issues with Meyer...what a bummer when you are all ready to get going....but...I wouldn't totally write off Meyer. They are a good place. I've been there (fortunate enough to live less than 90 minutes away) and they have been really good to work with, their facility is very clean and I have had wonderful birds from them, including a Buff Orpington (Lyndsey, who is now going on 5 years old), Buckeyes (awesome personality), Speckled Sussex, RIR, Welsummer, Golden Comets, Silver Laced Wyandotte...and so on. I guess I'm just saying, don't give up on them! Good luck whatever you end up doing:)

4. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Try Craigs list.

5. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    What a bummer. I remember how anxious I was waiting for that first box of chicks.

6. Kiomey

Kiomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2012
    Southern York County
    Try Myers in south fork pa, saw em at the farm show, seem reasonable and in pa! ^^ have ya tried again?

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm sorry you're having problems. I also have had very good luck with Meyer hatchery. Here's a hint, although she probably wont' thank me for it--try asking for Ursula when you call. She's a manager-type person and always more knowledgeable than the girls they have answering the phone.

Personally, I would advise against the "just try Craigslist" advice. CL is a fine thing, but you have to deal with diseases and liars. If you go through a hatchery, you are much less likely to bring disease onto your property, and you can get the chicks vaccinated in advance. And a hatchery won't sell you a three year old bird and tell you it's a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by