VERY disappointed in buildingachickencoop.com

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nursemeh, Apr 21, 2009.

1. nursemeh

nursemeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    Yesterday I put the $29.95 on my debit card and hit the download button! I was so excited! After reviewing the pdfs with the coop plans and scanty instructions I realized that I was no better off than I was before I was out that $30! It does NOT give what the ads promise: "detailed intructions for total beginners"

Now I see the Caatawba converticoop plan is $19.95! It looks like a great starter coop and perhaps if it actually comes with some decent instructions perhaps that would be money well spent.

Can anyone here recommend any other coop blueprint that is totally for beginner's that are really not great at building things?

And no I don't want to spend $350 on a kit!!!!

thanks!

2. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I don't think that everyone here would necessarily reccomend buying a blue print. Can you define the type of coop you want that will meet your needs for your climate and maybe some people here can point you the right dirrection. Keep in mind also that some of the smaller lumber yards have people to help you get exactly what you need in one trip. We have one around here that will give you a gas card if you have to go back for something they missed.
    Edited to add: I just looked at that. Those angles are difficult for a beginner. Either stick with right angles or print out your plans and take them to the store with you if that is what you have your heart set on. Go early in the day on Mon - Thur when workers there will have more time to help you. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think you should request a refund. You can probably get it if they were not clear about what you were getting. Your credit/debit card will assist you. Thats alot of $$$ to not try. call the # on the back of the card and tell someone what happened.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Agree with both replies. You can find a coop plan here and print it out and take it to your Home Depot or local lumber yard or whoever, and should be able to get enough help there to put together the materials needed. You don't need a blueprint, just a sketch or basic plan. You will make some mistakes but that is to be expected.

Suggestion: Stay with 4x8 or 8x8 dimensions, or multiples, as these match lumberyard materials, so simplify things greatly. A design that is 8' tall on the high end and 6' or so on the low end, to slant the roof, is not difficult, for example.

Not rocket science, even for a novice. My son would make a lot fewer mistakes than you will likely make. But he and I built a roost tonight and wasted 2' of lumber.... ah well....

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
  6. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    One word of warning about running out to a Home Depot or Lowes to get advice. Be very careful about who you talk to. Most of their employees simply do not have any experience using the items they sell. Most of their training is simply what they receive when they get hired. I would recommend a local lumber yard which has a lot of contractor traffic. I have local place, Shurwood Lumber, in which I get great help and advice. I only shop at HD or Lowes for items I already know I need or know how to use.

7. cat123

cat123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    South Ga
    demand a refund and look thur these post and get free plans for a coop

8. nursemeh

nursemeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    thanks so much. I have emailed buildingachickencoop.com and told them how I feel. I would like that $30 back so I can put it toward something I can use.
    thanks for the links and all the replies.

9. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

OH and I forgot to mention..check out my page to see the 'shed' we picked out and turned into a coop!!

We found out FREE coop plans by going to : Mystorageshed.org The plans were detailed and easy for us to understand. And they were FREE!! We were so happy to find a site that offered what they did ! Hope you do better next time with plans for you coop and I hope you got your refund !! Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, you do not need coop plans at *all*.

If you want blueprints, you want SHED blueprints.

There are many books on building yard/garden sheds with fairly complete plans and beginnery directions, that you could get from your library (either directly or via interlibrary loan); or pretty much all large hardware stores I've seen carry shed plans for like $10-15.

Good luck, hope you get your problem resolved with the coop plan site,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by