Very disappointed in egg color BCM

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KristyAz, May 31, 2011.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I purchased a pair of BCM's from a breeder here in the valley. I don't know much, but wanted dark brown eggs to add to my rainbow of layers. She said they would be terracotta colored, which although wasn't what I wanted them for, I was fine with because, again, would be a unique color in my egg basket. Wellllll.... the color is regular 'ol brown, very close to the RIR, BR and BO. Any chance this color will change as she matures?

2. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    The more they lay, the lighter the eggs get. It is the same with my Ameraucanas. They start with a bright blue. The more eggs they lay. the lighter the eggs get.
    Their eggs are not a bright blue again until they take a break(molt) and start laying again. Then, it starts all over.

3. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I have BCMs and their eggs are chocolate brown they are easy to tell apart from my BRs and NHRs and others. Do you have a pic of some of your eggs and girls?

4. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I will post pictures tomorrow of the pair and eggs. They are absolutely not dark brown or terracotta.

5. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have one pair of BCM that are laying right now and believe me, they don't look like any of the other breeds whether it be RIR, BO, Rocks etc. Her egg is definitely dark, dark. I have 2 of the Blue Copper's and they just started laying a couple of weeks ago. Their first eggs were light but now almost every one is dark, dark. Only a little small like most pullet eggs. My BCM never did lay the small pullet eggs. She started laying her first egg Apr 24th and the picture is on my web page http://jimspetsandpoultry.weebly.com Check it out.

6. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You didn't say how many eggs she has layed so far. My first BCM eggs came out barely a 4, but in about a week of laying, the "ink jets" warmed up, and they started laying a lovely "ruby" egg (5-6). I've heard many others say the same thing. As the hens get older, the color may fade somewhat, year after year. Also, different factors can affect egg color. Hot weather, lots of rain, stress (as in you just got them?), worms, and some claim different feeds, although I've not noticed that. Give them a chance to settle in and feel comfortable in their new digs. [​IMG]

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I tried hatching some recently that I bought on here and they were also just about the same as my non-chocolate eggers. I lost all of them when my bator freaked, so I don't have to worry about having those around [​IMG]
    Illia has BE U TI FUL colored eggs with her Marans. I got some from another BYCer in Texas (I think) that had great color.

8. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Quote:Mine layed her first egg 4/27. Yes, size is good, her's are a long oblong shape, so I always know which is which.

Quote:I got them at 3 months old, so they have been here since February, and they were my first 2 for my flock. She has been laying since 4/27, not sure of the number, she probably lays about 5 eggs a week I'd say.

And now for the pictures.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    You got hosed. Not likely that hen will ever lay dark enough to be called marans, and the roo looks like a mix. Sorry

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by