Very disappointed

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
Well, it's day 23 of my first hatch and NOTHING! I candled at 18 days and I'm sure my eggs had chicks in them alive and well because I saw them moving. My temp was down as low as 96 degrees for a little bit Friday, but that is the only thing I can think of that may have caused them to die. This is a real BUMMER.

I spent a good part of the day Saturday building this brooder and now I don't even get to use it.

16513_eggs_017.jpg
[/img]

16513_eggs_019.jpg
[/img]

16513_eggs_020.jpg
[/img]

Is there any chance they could still hatch after 23 days? What is the longest one should wait before giving up all hope?

Sometimes they just take longer.....but from my past experiences, I have chosen not to wait as I have lost chicks by not intervening. Candle the eggs and see if the chicks have moved into the air cell. If they have, i would start helping them out of the egg.

What humidity did you incubate at?

I just wanted to say I love your brooder! I need to build me another one and I am going to try to make one like yours. On your chicks give them a few extra days, they still might hatch out. I hope they do.

Thank you for the brooder compliment. I actually had everything around the house/barn to build it. It is 4'x5' so it should be big enough for as many chicks as I will ever have at one time. I made it secure enough that I can put it in the coop when it is warmer and not have to worry about anything getting into it. I need to put some big handles on the short ends to make it easier to carry. I was really hoping to get to use it. Oh well, if this time fails, I will have to try again. They are my own eggs, so at least I'm not out anything. I am going to see if TSC will refund my money for my LG Incubator. I don't like it one bit (that's right, I'm blaming the bator). I will candle again tonight and decide what to do.

The brooder looks great!!!!
thumbsup.gif

I know it is very hard but hatching can be filled with things that don't go according to the book. I would definitely candle for any movement and open atleast one (air sac end) carefully. You might have some life left in them.
fl.gif

As others have said when temps are low sometimes they don't hatch on time but they won't last much longer in the shell if they are still alive.

Best of luck and if this doesn't work out try again. Hatching is one of those things we can't control no matter how much we try to be 100% right on the button.

Julie
smile.png

Just remember that incubating is not automatic. A number of things can go wrong. If possible, do your best to discover what happened, and learn from it. Do not get discouraged. Jump right back on the horse and get a new batch going. The brooder setup that you built is outstanding, and will be used for many a successful hatch in the future.

I know that a zero hatch can be devastating, but all that you really lost was a few eggs and a three week setback. Once you have your first successful hatch, this bad one will be ancient history.

Don't let it get you down. Solve the problem and get back on track. Keep your chin up and best of luck with the next one. I'll be pullin' for ya'.

Also, you might open a couple of the eggs to see if it gives you an idea of what went wrong. Just be careful and tap into the aircell end. If you see movement, put it back and leave it alone!

Back
Top Bottom