Very Disappointed...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dracoe19, Sep 28, 2012.

1. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    Here is my random rambling of the day. I go to an art college and I love animals especially poultry. I was thinking of doing some photography at some of the poultry shows this year. So I decided to call the number listed for a show to talk to someone about doing photography there and giving the photos to their organization or other related poultry organization. I haven't seen very nice photography of poultry and thought they would appreciate some photography to promote their show and teach kids and others about poultry. I thought it was a good idea and that the poultry people would like the idea as well. So I call the number as for the specified person but got someone else. They said they weren't available and asked why I was calling. I told them I wanted to photograph at the show and donate the photos to their organization. The person bitterly said "what organization". I was caught off guard and tried to explain what I wanted to do. The person wasn't very helpful and wasn't taking me seriously at all. They told me there are publishers taking photographs already. I asked if I could set up a spot to photograph them and was quickly told no you can only have your camera. I said thank you and hung up and was very disappointed and irritated by her attitude towards me. I think she heard my voice thinking since I'm young I shouldn't be taken seriously which very much upsets me. I will be a little boastful and say I am very good at photography and am most certainly not an armature. I am going to school for art and understand lighting, composition and how to properly use a camera unlike most. I wish I had said I was a 38 year old photographer wanting to do it and maybe she wouldn't have talked down to me. I just hate being talked down too... Was my proposal that stupid I would be talked to like that? I was just trying to do something that other poultry enthusiasts could appreciate and learn from. Who knows ... in a sad mood from it now...

Some examples of my photography....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think you are a wonderful photographer!

Sometimes people are just ungrateful. I wouldn't let it get to you at all. Honestly, if she was that bitter with you on the phone, it wouldn't matter what age you were. You probably would still not want to be involved with them!

A great opportunity for animal loving photographers is to volunteer time at animal rescues to photograph their animals for use on adoption websites and posters. I did this for a bit and the rescue was extremely grateful for my help. I also loved doing it and immediately saw animals getting adopted after we posted nice clear photos of them. I'm sure very few rescues would turn down your help!

1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great photographs! Sorry you had to deal with someone with such a bad attitude. Just like in the 'real world' some poultry people are unpleasant. Thankfully, the good make up for those with a bad attitude.

4. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Beautiful photos, don't let one sourpuss who got up on the wrong side of the bed bother you. Your idea was wonderful, you just hit the wrong person at the wrong time.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Go to the show, meet the people, and click that shutter. I picked up my first camera when I was 10 years old-a Star Brownie by Kodak. Uses 127 film. Still have it. I carried that thing all over the place, snapping off all kinds of pictures. Unfortunately, I didn't have the money to develop the film, but held on to the film until I could afford to develop the photos three years later. I mowed a lot of yards to get that film developed only to discover one out of 10 photos were worth looking at. Talk about heart broken. Didn't give up though.

Now everything is digital and you can click that shutter and not spend much money. However your camera and lens will be expensive.

Anyway, go to the show. Talk to the people, tell them what you are doing, and you'll be surprised what you can do. Give it a shot, you'll be surprised at what develops.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    You need to talk to someone else. Someone higher up. Too many people who answer the phone have an exaggerated sense of their own importance and delight in saying no. See if you can get an appointment and bring some of your work with you.

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I have done dog shows (photography) and there are actually a lot of contracts that need to be signed. Often, they have a contract years in advance with a specific person to take photos of the winning birds. As such, they aren't going to let anyone else do photos at the show except for a private person taking photos for their own use.
    Just because you haven't seen the photos doesn't mean that they aren't there!

I would submit a WRITTEN proposal and a copy of your contract. Yes, you're going to need a contract. http://photography.lovetoknow.com/Photography_Release_Forms are some general forms.
    You are going to need each owner to sign a property release for EVERY bird you take a photo of. Also, you are going to need to compensate the owner in some way - giving them copies of the photos are fine if they agree to that. That will make a start to showing the show organizers that you are serious about what you want to do.

ETA: here is a simple contract that I use.
    Be sure that the first blank is filled in with a detailed description to verify what individual bird you are taking photos of. If they have a show bird, it might have a registered name, for example so "photograph of Miss Fluffy Chicken" would go there.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]For valuable consideration, receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, the undersigned, being the legal owner of, or having full legal rights to, property designated as _________________________________________________________________________,
    hereby grant the undersigned photographer ("Photographer") , his/her legal representatives and successors, as well as
    persons and companies, including Dragonfire Images, acting with his/her permission, the irrevocable right and
    permission, throughout the world, in connection with the photographs he/she has taken of the property described above,
    or in which the property may be included with others, the following: (a) the right to use and reuse and publish, in any
    manner at all, said photographs, in whole or in part, modified or altered, either by themselves or in conjunction
    with other photographs, in any medium or form of distribution, and for any purposes whatsoever, including, without
    limitation, all promotional and advertising uses, non-commercial or commercial display, broadcast, exhibition
    of the final production, and other trade purposes, as well as using my name in connection therewith, if he/she so desires;
    and (b) the right to copyright said photographs in his/her own name or in any other name that he/she may select.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]I waive the right to inspect or approve the finished product or copy and any use thereof. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]I agree that the photographs, reproductions, and negatives thereof shall constitute the photographer's sole property, and that the photographer has the full right to dispose of any or all of them in any manner whatsoever. I hereby forever release and discharge Photographer and his/her respective representatives, licensees, successors and assigns, specifically Dragonfire Images and its clients, from any and all claims, actions and demands arising out of or in connection with the use of said photographs, including, without limitation, any and all claims for invasion of privacy and libel. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]I acknowledge that this release document was signed by me willingly and I certify that I am not a minor, and I am free and able of giving such consent. If an undersigned is signing this form on behalf of, or as an agent or employee of company/organization, the undersigned warrants that he/she has full authorization to do so. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]Name: __________________________________________________________________________________________
    Signature: _________________________________________________________ Date: ________________________
    Address: ________________________________________________________________________________________
    Phone: ___________________________ E-mail address: _________________________________________________
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]Photographer’s name: _____________________________________________________________________________
    Photographer’s signature: ____________________________________________ Date: _______________________
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    you might also need to sign a contract specific to the show committee, giving you permission to photograph at the facility. If you have a person in your photo, you might also need to sign a model release.

9. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    The person you talked to probably has a healthy suspicion for scammers. You may have the best of intentions, and the person on the phone might have thought it was a great idea. But not everyone who offers to help has the best intentions, and they spoil the fun for everyone else. For example, during the World Trade Center rescue operation, a major hardware chain offered up a truck full of tools. Firefighters took it all, grateful for the help. They were then sent a bill for every piece of it.

Your photos are great, and I think you should go to the show and sell yourself. Bring plenty of business cards and your biggest smile. Be sure to meet the person you spoke to on the phone so you can show him how committed and unflappable you are. And don't blame your rejection on your age. You can't do anything about how old you are, and it has little to do with reliability.

10. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    Thank you for all the suggestions and support everyone. Your words have definitely helped. I have considered doing photography for the local shelters. I haven't gotten the courage to do it but I think I will. The shelter up here does not have very good photos of their animals and I know when looking at adopting a nice picture will always catch your eye. Also thank you very much Dainerra for the paper work. I knew about not taking photos of people without their permission but I know in this time and age covering every base is the best for you and everyone else. I will go to the show and discuss with people about giving me a chance and if they do let me photograph their birds definitely giving them copies of the photos. I remember when I met Jerry Foley to buy some birds and he let me photograph his birds. Honestly one of the best days I ever had looking and photographing his birds. I hope I meet more people like him who give me a chance. The show is next week so hopefully I'll have some good news and be able to photograph a few birds. Thank you all again. I feel more determined and hopeful of the whole thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by