Very Disappointed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lanissa86, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Well, I have been searching for Delawares for some time locally and to my prevail I found a place where I could get a started pullet!

Bought two birds (1 Delaware, 1 SUPPOSE to be Cuckoo Maran but it is a Dominique)!

Yup, I guess my still newbie self is learning the hard way! Both birds were sick when I got them home! money on meds, made them well and GUESS WHAT! MY DELAWARE IS A ROO! I was so worried about trying to make them better it never occurred to me to question the black bars in the tail! [​IMG] Now I have a Roo! He is not crowing and "acts" like all my pullets...matter of fact it is on the Bottom of the pecking order... I am just so so so disappointed... I don't mind him, but The guy I bought from was a total scam, rip off, you name it...

I think I should just order pullets from Ideal next Spring... I have not been as happy with my chickens since I lost all my Delaware girls to my Dog in Spring...and I badly badly want some Delaware girls... [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry for your losses and the bad dealings with the guy you got them from. Better luck in the spring.

3. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

What a bummer [​IMG]

I think a couple of my new girls they are about 7 weeks now, maybe roos. [​IMG] I ordered from Townline in MI, I will be bummed if they are, then I have to replace them again. I have ordered from in the past Welp, McMurry, and never got a roo.

I just ordered more 3 Black Austrolrops and 3 golden laced Wyandottes, and hoping they are all eggs girls

Though in the spring, will try to get order girls about between 8 to 12 weeks this way i know if they are roos or not, pay more, but at least i will know. and wont have to replace them again

Best wishes [​IMG]

4. simba49450

simba49450 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    hi there,

im sorry for your loss. but i myself dont get chickens from private people cause that happens sick etc. the best thing to do is get from a hatchery and i cant stress enough, vaccinate your chickens its very cheap and its worth its weight in gold wether you feed medicated feed or not. the majority of people dont vaccinate and have problems later on. i get my chicks from twnline, i swear by them, i have gotten what i wanted and great quality. i highly reccomend them to anyone. at any hatchery you have the risk of getting a wrong bird or two. im looking on getting other chicken vaccines for mine cause the fact that so many diseases etc are out there, im paraniod i guess but mine will be healthy and vacinated.

5. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Well live and learn right? I used Ideal before and I love them, I just wanted to meet other chicken fanciers around my area, and was excited about going out to this guys place.....but in the long run it was all just a bad experience! Oh well.... I might try searching for members on here that has Delawares....I LOVE incubating, I haven't hatched in awhile. But then again, I never tried shipped eggs either and with all the disappointment and luck I have been having I am sure I may end up with a Zero hatch rate.... Oh well...Thanks for the comments, you guys are awesome...How come you all aren't in San Antonio LOL

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    aw I'm sorry to hear that [​IMG]
    I hope the birds from ideal do better

7. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I can just imagine how dissapointed you are. Not just one wrong bird but two. ack Sounds like you definately got a shady dealer. Good luck finding some replacements.

8. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  9. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    I am so sorry to hear that, I wish people were more honest. [​IMG]

10. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Call moore's and they will add what you want onto their orders. They ordered 5 silkies for me a month ago. They also ordered extras "just in case."

I'm very sorry that happened, will the guy refund the money?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by