very disgusting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happyfeet, Nov 8, 2009.

1. happyfeet

happyfeet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2007
    okay, i posted about this chicken a few days ago. she has not gotton any better, so we decided she was suffering and had to kill her today (RIP angel). we had a golden comet hen, born 8-7-07, who just recintly start walking very squatty and slowly and low to the ground. her belly was very hard, a softball sized hard thing inbetween her back legs and slightly forward. after we killed her i cut her belly open to see what this hard thing was. the firt one was round/oval shaped about 5-6 inches around, the other thing was tube like shaped and was pushing up inside of her towards her head. very hard/sponge like tecture. i cut both open and there were hard boiled looking eggs inside of her. the round shaped one had three and the yellow yolk like centers were of the consistency of a hard boiled egg. the tube shaped one had one egg like thing in it and it s yolk was very yellow too, but mushy. one of the yolk things in the round one looked like there was a baby chick growing inside and had died and started to reabsorb back into the mass. what the heck happed here? i have never heard of this and cant find anything like this on the web or in any of my books??? i will post pictures shortly

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    internal laying, speckled hen is BYC's unwilling expert on that.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sorry that happened to your hen, but yes, internal laying. Do a BYC search for internal laying- there is a lot of info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by