1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very dissapointing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Clay In Iowa, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    I did all the research, looked at hatch rates posted by certain breeders and finally settled on two breeders of Blue Wheaten Amaraucanas.

I got them from opposite coasts and set them the same day. Unfortunately the postal monkeys managed to break ALL the air cells.

One breeder supplied 12 eggs of those 12, 11 are developing. Good work Peachick!!! [​IMG]

The other breeder supplied 15 eggs. Of those only 7 are developing. After candling I noticed that 8 of the 15 eggs look like Swiss cheese. They are VERY porous. Out of the 15 eggs 100% of the porous eggs (8) candled clear, 100% of the normal eggs (7) are developing. I contacted the breeder and was told "Sorry the eggs got tossed around". This has nothing to do with rough handling!! I was also told "I always hatch my porous eggs, and don't usually have a problem with them." I doubt that. And since I pointed out this obvious problem I haven't heard from the breeder who has logged on several times since I sent the PM. Great customer service there!! This is a case of getting poor quality eggs from a breeder with an obviously undeserved reputation. It's just very disappointing to find someone who is supposed to have such a good rep treat a customer like they are an idiot.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have had porous eggs shipped to me and I have set porous eggs of my own that hatch out without any problems. I have to agree with the breeder on this one it's usually the post office shipping and handling that will do the egg in.

3. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    That is bad. I hate it when people are like that. [​IMG]

I am glad that you at least have some developing eggs. That's the most important thing.

Um, one question, what is porous?

4. Clay In Iowa

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Quote:Handling does not explain the obvious here. 100% of the porous eggs are clear, 100% of the normal eggs are developing.

I FULLY expect about 50% of shipped eggs to fail. I just find it odd that it's so black and white. Had 50% of each, normal and porous, fail I wouldn't have a problem at all.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    All that I am saying is that porous eggs can and will hatch. It is obvious that they can be alittle weaker from shipments and that "could" have done them in. My two cents.....

6. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I just set a bunch of porous eggs that I received in the mail. I am only on day 2, so I don't know what the outcome will be, but I hope that some of them hatch.
    ~Rebecca

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  8. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    For the 2 hatches that I have done, and the one I am doing now, the porous eggs have developed just fine - as is the one egg that came with the hatch I am doing now...
    I think it was just by luck that they all were bad for you...The odds were against you since you had them shipped...

Not trying to get an argument going, I'm just saying...

I do agree with Sara - it is said they are less likely to hatch, but still...It is possible!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  9. Clay In Iowa

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Quote:I'm a molecular Geneticist and I've done research for 20 years. Biostatistics are a daily chore. With an 'n' of 7 or 8 out of 15 it's almost an impossibility to have it so black and white IF the eggs were viable when shipped.

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Good point, Clay. . . however, with regard to the porosity, correlation does not necessarily equal causation. There could be another issue with the eggs/genetics/shipping/non-fertility causing egg failure.

Too bad about the batch. I know that must be very disappointing. PM me if you care to privately discuss your source, as I would be interested in finding out more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by