VERY docile cockerel

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Yard full o' rocks, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I have a very docile/shy cockerel (splash rock) that will be 6 months old tomorrow!! He is "afraid" of the girls, has yet to "do the dance", hasn't begun to crow.

Any chance he will never "be a man"?? I really need him to continue my breeding program of BBS rocks, but he seems to have no interest at all.

When I let them out to free range, the girls go one way, he goes another.....not like my other groups where the rooster is constantly standing guard for the girls.

He has a Delaware rooster 2 pens down from him that he sees every day...crowing, mating, being a good flock rooster, etc....so he does have something to imitate

I'm at a loss...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    even if your roosters arent together you will find that one will may be dominant over the rest... so your young cockerel is either slow at developing or has just figured that there is already someone else to crow and mate and why should he goodluck anyways

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Time may help. Some boys are late bloomers (unlike humans [​IMG] ) I think he'll get the hang of it pretty soon. Are the hens bossy with him? If so, it may take until he is much larger than they are before he grows some cojones. (is that how you spell it?)

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:Thanks Gator

They are roughly the same size as him and yes...VERY bossy, pick on him frequently. I wished he'd just "lay 'em flat" sometimes. Both have recently been broody and are a little cranky since I broke them of it...perhaps that is part of the problem.

Thanks again

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Agreed... Give him time! Hormones will kick in. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yard full o' rocks :

Quote:Thanks Gator

They are roughly the same size as him and yes...VERY bossy, pick on him frequently. I wished he'd just "lay 'em flat" sometimes. Both have recently been broody and are a little cranky since I broke them of it...perhaps that is part of the problem.

Thanks again

My wellie rooster used to get beat up by my hens. He would literally run screaching. Then one day, he decided to "man up". He climbed to the top of the flock one hen at a time, starting of course with the lowest ranking female. Now he's top chicken and everyone respects him.

So I think in time, your roo will step up. He just hasn't hit puberty yet.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by