Very down today, just need some hugs and encouragement..

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by baltimoreharps, Oct 24, 2009.

1. baltimoreharps

baltimoreharps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    *sigh*
    I've been trying to cheer up all day long and nothing's working. One of the kittens that were drop off's died last night after starting to get better. [​IMG] The kids were upset and crying, I was crying and after she passed, I tried to stay up to get feed for the chickens, but just couldn't. [​IMG]
    After sleeping a few hours, it's just been an awful day! DD and my middle DS slept what they could, but woke up with swollen eyes, and heavy hearts. The day went south when the oldest DS and his BF were horsing around and accidently hit the other sick kitten with an empty soda bottle and it kicked off seizures in the poor little teeny thing! [​IMG] BF got kicked out of the house and sent home, and I am really not sure when he's coming back! They were BOTH warned not 5 mins. before this happened that I am NOT babysitting a couple of 15 and 17 yr olds like they're 3rd graders, and when I go to fix something for them to eat, they do THIS! [​IMG]
    DS got ripped a new one several times, and has made sure to steer clear of the sick kitten and me. [​IMG]

The kitten is doing better since the seizure, but she's going to have to go to the vet on Monday. [​IMG] She loves to go out and sit in the chicken pen, drink out of the waterer, and generally freak the hens out by trying to cuddle with them, lol. [​IMG]

I'm just wondering when the urge to burst into sobs is going to stop today.. [​IMG]

I'm a retired vet tech, and take any loss very hard, especially when the little kitten that didn't make it was doing so much better....dh is telling me to quit going over and over it, I just can't help it. [​IMG]

Hugs, please?? [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] You did everything you could for the little one that didn't make it. I know how hard it is to lose a pet though. Hope the other baby gets healthy and strong for you! [​IMG]

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Maybe you should take a chair out and sit in the coop for a little while [​IMG]
    I always feel good hanging out in the coop. Sometimes you have to try to feel good for trying to help the critters you can, and you know you tried.

4. baltimoreharps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Quote:Did that and it helped some. [​IMG] I've tried feeling good for helping her, but I just keep thinking that something was missing and I missed it. [​IMG] I don't know what it would've been, because she was getting better, but I just keep repeating what I said to the kids last night, that she knew she was loved, she was well fed and well medicated, doted on and adored. The younger two were up with her along with me, sitting on the floor for 4 hours until she passed. [​IMG]
    Because Silver loved cushy, comfy pillows to lie on, she was buried with my dd's baby doll pillow that she loved most. [​IMG]
    Great, there I go again..[​IMG]

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Just because it 'seemed' like the kitten was doing better, does not always mean it really was. I know its hard, but we have
    to always remember that we cant save them all. You can always find the good side of things, you just have to look harder sometimes. For example, rather than feel sad that the kitten has passed.......... feel happy that it is not suffering right now.
    Its in a better place and not feeling bad. When you thing the sad stuff, you just have to force your mind to remember the reasons you have to not feel sad. another reason to not feel sad is that you know you have a ton of BYC friends who understand [​IMG]

6. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Aww, my heart hurts for you all.
    Silver knew what love is, quite a few animals (and people) never do. No matter how short their lives are, as long as they experienced love, that's what matters most. Thank you for showing them.

[​IMG]

7. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I am so sorry for the loss of you little one. Hugs being sent to you. Hope tomorrow is a little better for you

8. baltimoreharps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Thank you all.

I just got an email, (not from here) about this situation. I have several mb's that I visit daily and others know about this whole miserable day. How would you take this email?

*snip*She had 3 kittens and my co-worker offered them up for adaption. I had just moved and could take two kittens. As they were two boys and a girl I wanted to take a boy and girl.

Then.... her little three year old DD picked up the girl kitten. The kitten did not even have her eyes open yet. She scratched the 3 year old... most likley not even on purpose.

The little girl's reaction was to toss the kitten down to the ground.

The vet said the kitten had swelling in the brain.. and most likely would die. My co-worker decided to take the kitty home. I visited around that time and prayed with her about thie kitty.

She survived.... so the lady decided to keep her ... and I ended up with two boys (one who has sence passed away due to kidney problems).

Anyway the point is - if it's something like that - teenie could still recover.

I just said a prayer for you, your family and the kitty.

Whatever happens know that you gave these kittens a warm, safe (relitivly) home - whereas they would have most likely passed sooner outside.

[​IMG]:

Relatively safe home? Am I reading that right? [​IMG]

9. baltimoreharps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Thank you Lurky, Kelpie, and Freebie.
    I don't post much, but am here reading daily and hourly. It means more than you know.[​IMG]

10. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:It sounds like she's just sympathizing with your son whacking the kitten with a soda bottle, since she's known another kitten to live through another trauma.

Her term 'relatively safe' means 'safe except for the goofball son'.

I have a goofball, too.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by