1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very dumb question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ridgefire, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I was walking down by the river yesterday and was watching the local waterfowl...ie Geese and a couple of swans. And I got to thinking, how the heck can they stand the ice cold water? And I mean ice cold, the river is just now starting to open back up from the winter freeze. The geese were literally swimming between the ice flow. I realize they have oil and feathers but how can that keep them warm in ice water?

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The oil keeps the feathers waterproof. The feathers interlock and overlay in such a way that water doesn't touch their skin. They also are able to raise their feathers to create an airspace between the skin and feathers. Additionally there are fewer blood vessels in their feet to help prevent heat loss.

3. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I knew someone here would have the answer. The only thing I could think of was man that water has to be cold.
    I tried getting a picture of one with my cell phone but it was too far for my phone. All you could see were a pair of swan legs sticking up from the water as it was trying to dive down to get something below it.

4. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol; I would have loved to see that pic!

5. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I tried I really did but all that you could see in the cell pic is the river you couldnt make out the legs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by