1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very early Chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Danno B, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Danno B

Danno B Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2016
    Hello everyone!
    Quick question. New to hatching here, but have tried to read up on things before I started. Got a clutch of 15 mixed breed eggs on-line. 3 never started. Bacteria got 1. The rest have been doing ok. Started pipping and hatching yesterday and today. (Today is supposed to be the actual hatch day.) Got 10 chicks hatched, and two more pipped and ready. Question is...I had one hatch today that was WAY too early. Little thing hadn't even finished absorbing the yolk yet, and busted out of the egg. It is peeping and moving around the bator dragging yolk behind. Spends most time laying on it's stomach. Poor thing. Is there anything I can do for it, or should I cull it? I don't want it to be suffering. Many thanks for any advice.

Dan

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your hatchers :clap The one that has hatched early needs to be kept as still as possible untill the yolk has absorbed. Placing the chick in a small tub or cup can help keep it confined so the yolk sac does not burst open. Here is an example pic ~ [​IMG]
    Check out this article too it's great on hatching and has everything you need to know ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chick :fl

3. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!! For more information on what to do with your chick, you might want to check out the assisted hatching thread in the learning center. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. Danno B

Mar 5, 2016
    My thanks. I thought the poor little thing was a goner. Into a cup he goes! Will keep you posted. Again...thank you.
    Dan

5. Danno B

Mar 5, 2016
    Will do. Thank you!

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Your most welcome :highfive:

All is not lost, good luck :fl

7. Danno B

Mar 5, 2016
    Can I be a pain and ask one more question please?
    My last two eggs pipped yesterday morning. I can see the chicks moving about and hear them peep on occasion, but there has been no further attempts at hatching. I know it can take over 24 hours sometimes. My question is, how long should I wait before I attempt to help create a zip line around it? I don't want the membrane to dry out after all, but not sure if it may already be since they are doing nothing further. Advice please? Many thanks yet again.

Dan

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

I helped mine. I know you're not suppose to help them but after so many hours and no progress they seemed worn out trying. They all survived but I did notice they were slower to get up and move around freely. If the bottom part of the shell was still attached to them, I didn't remove it, and they finally broke free on their own.

10. Danno B

Mar 5, 2016
    Thank you. I'm so glad I found such an amazing resource in all you guys. Thanks again.
    Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by