VERY EARLY EYP/Internal Laying/Eggbound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cbl123, Mar 24, 2017.

1. cbl123

cbl123 New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    One of my hybrid hens (almost 4 years old) is looking a bit ill but I have thankfully noticed very soon.

I went to check on them and couldn't see her so I looked in the nest box and she was there so I quickly closed it and left her but she then came outside looking completely fine.

was outside for a while and then noticed that she was hunched up in a corner but walked away when I approached her and made a few normal sounds. Just to see if she was okay I gave them a few seeds and she ate them as she usually would but out of curiosity I picked her up and felt her lower abdomen and I am unsure if it is just very full or if she is dealing with internal laying / EYP or even possibly eggbound although there was nothing hard, if anything it felt squishy as if full of water.

The reason I am concerned is because about 5 months ago another of my hybrids of the same age had an issue we believed to be internal laying: she was walking around like a penguin, eventually stopped eating and drinking and became ill and sadly died. I do not believe she was infected but that she died because she stopped eating as she did not feel at all hot and her belly did not look red. Her abdomen originally felt like squishy (though not as big as this one's does now) and got very hard so I am certain that it was an egg in the lower body cavity.

I am equipped with gloves/ needles + syringes / alcohol wipes and know how to deal with infections etc but if this is an issue of internal laying I want to deal with it ASAP as I am aware the prognosis is generally poor but will do what I can to help her.

I am not too sure about draining her belly right now as she seems completely normal and active but that moment where she seemed ill and her slightly enlarged belly is bugging me. She is my biggest hen but since the previous death I have been very vigilant of their health and I am fairly certain she is not usually squishy.

If you have any ideas/reccomnmendations that would be great. Sorry this is so long I just wanted to give as much info as possible as I cannot be sure if she is unwell. Thanks.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ascites or fluid in the belly is a separte illness than internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Some hens with those may possibly develop ascites, but all of them do not. Draining the belly does not cure the internal laying or EYP. Nothing really will cure it. Sometimes when caught very early antibiotics may be a temporary help, but eventually the hen will die. Ascites can happen with heart or liver failure, and sometimes with EYP. If the lower belly becomes tight like a drum, sometimes removing some fluid with a large bore needle may help relieve pressure to ease breathing. Unfortunately the older the hen is the better the chances for developing these illnesses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by