Very excited about my new Heated Water Fount!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by petrel, Dec 13, 2013.

1. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Allied Precision's new model 33. Not the old one that got such scathing reviews.

After several nights in the teens and twenties and still ice free water for my girls, I am very pleased with my new waterer. Just fill it up, hang it up, plug it up and forget about it...well at least until it needs cleaning.

My only concern is that it fills to a level very close to the top, so it is easily spilled. I have a call into them about that.

Other details: It fills through a plug in the bottom, yet it can still be twisted apart like a conventional fountain for cleaning. It has a small spool underneath for storing excess cord, and a sturdy wire hoop for hanging it.

Now I just have to see how it holds up over time. If it is still cooking in a month, I'm getting another one for the run. No more storing or thawing waterers in the kitchen floor for me!

2. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I have been looking and reading reviews on some of the heated water founts.I remove my mine at night.i worry that their water will freeze during the day,while I am at work.Tractor supply carries the little giant.and the reviews are not good.

3. petrel

You are right the reviews on all but this newest fount are pretty discouraging. I wanted to wait and let someone else try out this one, but I was tired of fighting the ice and making the mess. I hope it holds up.

4. deerchooper

deerchooper Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    warren, ohio
    i just bought one from tractor supply a couple weeks ago, I think it was the farmer inventors brand, its been working great so far. I check the chicks before I go to work at 5am and its been in the single digits during the morning a couple of times.

5. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    May I ask where you got yours.I am from orange va.not far from you.

6. deerchooper

deerchooper Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    warren, ohio
    bucky, I got it at tractor supply

7. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    What is BOSS chicken food?

8. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Black oiled sunflower seeds

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I hope you update on the progress of this model, reviews on these are usually awful. I know you say this is an improved version so should be good to hear if it truly is.

10. petrel

I liked the new heated waterer so much that I added a second Allied Precision "new" Model 33 and it too has performed as expected. I can keep ice free water in the coop and the run around the clock. We've had a run of below zero temps with evening wind chills reaching -11. I haven't seen any ice in either waterer yet.

The other day, my son forgot to plug in the waterer we have for the run after filling it. The tray was frozen solid the next morning. Even though the high that day was 28, the waterer had enough power to thaw itself in short order that morning. I was surprised that it would.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by