Very first foray into keeping chickens. Pics of new coop! Update pg2!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by undertheradar, Apr 2, 2009.

1. undertheradar

undertheradar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Hello all! I love this site so far.....in fact the first google search I did after getting the idea for keeping chickens was this site. [​IMG]

Anyways, a week or so ago as I was getting our tiny little garden in Long Beach, CA ready for some new crops I thought..."hmmm, it would be awfully nice to have a couple hens out here as pets as well as giving us some eggs."
    So after researching the local codes, searching various coop designs and looking at the scrap lumber I had, this is what I came up with. We originally wanted to have two bantams, but after visiting our local feed store, we realized we would probably have to raise them from chicks, and we just don't have the time for that right now...and we really wanted some already laying hens. So after building the first coop (which was the entire red wood structure, but the right side was their run) and realizing it was too small, I started stressing over how to utilize the one I already built. The next day it was prety much dropped in my lap when at the local dog park, somebody had dumped a dis-assembled dog kennel. I brought it home and put it together and wow.....it was perfect. I turned it on its side to get more floor space, and netted in what was originally the floor. I used a hundred or so zipties to add some extra security to all the joints.

In total we spent about $40 on the plywood roof panels, hardware, waterer, and feeders. Even the paint I used was a leftover. [​IMG] We're heading out on saturday to pick up our two girls, so I'm sure I'll post some more pictures.

Anyways, here's the pictures

The coop floor is roughly 3.5x4.5 feet. The outside run area is about the same.

Here you can see the overall setup. The wire kennel is joined to the coop with large gauge u-nails. I also cut out the opening into the coop and then re-attached the panel with ziptie hinges so they can be closed in if need be.
    [​IMG]

Access doors open. You can kind of see where I have the roost poles in place, but I may remove those and put them in the main area so they can use the left side as an egg box since I think the one I originally made (you can see it sticking off to the left) is too small. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The floor of the right side is 1/2" hardware cloth, over which we'll lay pine shavings.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. Bornacentury2L8

Bornacentury2L8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    Cute coop. Take pics when you fill it up....And welcome aboard.

3. undertheradar

Apr 2, 2009
    Quote:Absolutely I will. [​IMG]

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Very cute! Is there a place for cross ventilation when the two side doors are closed?

5. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    See.. Now you did it all wrong.. You're supposed to get the chicks FIRST well before you get a coop built so that you can sit and watch them in between running around like a nut trying to figure out all you need to build a coop.

Or... At least that's the boat I'm in.... [​IMG]

Nice coop! and welcome! [​IMG]

Pretty dog, too.. Can't tell.. Full golden?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  6. undertheradar

Apr 2, 2009
    Quote:On the left end above the egg box and below the eave, is a triangle shaped pattern of 1/2" holes that I drilled. I'm going to watch and see if it's enough....but if not I'll just cut out that area and add some mesh instead. I live real close to the beach and get a steady breeze almost all the time, so I'm not too worried about it....but at the same time I don't want it to be too drafty.

See.. Now you did it all wrong.. You're supposed to get the chicks FIRST well before you get a coop built so that you can sit and watch them in between running around like a nut trying to figure out all you need to build a coop.

Or... At least that's the boat I'm in.... lol

Nice coop! and welcome! big_smile

Yeah...we were thrown for a loop last weekend when we were set on getting bantams and decided on full size hens instead. [​IMG]

That's our pup Bear, and he's actually a 10 month old Aussie mix:
    [​IMG]
    Pretty dog, too.. Can't tell.. Full golden?​

7. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Quote:Oh my word.. That is an absolutely beautiful dog.. Those eyes.. That liver nose... Wow.

We used to just have Basset Hounds while we worked with the (Basset) rescue. I'd since branched out to mutts however.. Must say, so far they'd been FAR better dogs.

Current one, Stormy (Black Lab/Sharpe mix), besides being a tad nutty in the fact that she ate part of the dog door to the outside; has been one of the best mannered dogs with kids I'd seen.. She does so well with my 3 year old it's nuts.

8. Iceblink

Iceblink Chillin' With My Peeps

Your set-up is lovely. Our 'California' coop was much the same only I went overboard and built a coop big enough for 10 chickens and only had 3. But the shape and layout were the same.

I found that my girls didn't roost up in the 'triangle area' ..... maybe they felt cramped, with their heads and tails being so close to the walls.

Is your coop moveable? If it is, you can forgo the shavings and just move it every day or so. That cuts down on the cleaning a lot, and you won't have to worry about odor.

Good luck.

9. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I [​IMG] your coop & I am sure you will enjoy your chickens!

First I would suggest 3 chickens! they are very social so, it is better having an extra! stuff does happen!

Second I would take the high roost out not enough head space!

Nest box looks good [​IMG] you might just have to add a piece of wood ((what are the measurements for the box?))

you might want to make a screen (covered in hardware cloth) so in warm weather you can leave 1 of your access doors open!

you also might want to cover part of the run with something so the food doesn't get wet! (I just used plastic they sell for weather proofing)

[​IMG] I agree with moving the coop! You will cut down on smell, cleaning, & less chance of getting mites!

[​IMG] your yard!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
  10. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    cute setup! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by