Very first hatch complete [with pics] - Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wynette, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    A close friend has done all my hatching until now; this is my very first "own" hatch. I purchased eggs from BYC's okcarla. I've always wanted Jersey Giants! Carla sent 10 eggs, and 8 of the 10 hatched! I got 4 blue, 3 black, and even a splash - what I was crossing my fingers most for!! Excellent rate for shipped eggs + first hatch! One that didn't hatch pipped but did not hatch, and the other never pipped but did develop almost all the way. So, fertility and shipping were excellent on Carla's part! Thanks, Carla!!

Here are my little cuties!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Congrats on your hatch! You did good!

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    They are adorable!!! Congrats on your new babies.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Congrats to you Wynette! They are absolutely adorable and what a great success story for a first hatch and shipped eggs! [​IMG]

HOORAY! [​IMG]

5. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Those are some great looking little chicks,there is nothing like the feeling of hatching your own birds out. Good luck with them keep us posted

6. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks, all! I felt prepared, having learned so much on BYC. It was still nerve-wracking when I was several hours into day 21 with no pips yet. I finally took a nap to try to get myself to stop looking, and 2 hrs. later I had one hatched, a pip, and a zip! Hurry up and...WAIT!

Hopefully, 2009 will go well. Last year (as some of you know) I battled several bad illnesses in my flocks. Hopefully I took enough precautions and made enough changes in handling my birds that it will be better this year. I also vaccinated these guys for Marek's. That was intesting, and more nerve wracking than beginning day 21 without pips, but we made it through! Poor DH, having to hold the tiny chicks while I poked them with a needle! He was beside himself! [​IMG]

7. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    what bator were you useing

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I bought a "scratch & dent" (slightly used) Brinsea Octagon 20. It's small, and I found it held temp and humidity extremely well. I'm very pleased with it, but I've never used anything else so have nothing to compare it to!!

9. okcarla

okcarla Seriously Downsizing (NOT)

Feb 12, 2008
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Wynette that is absolutely AWESOME! [​IMG] I'm amazed they did so well!

You obviously know how to hatch chicks right. Thank goodness for BYC. [​IMG] I know I've sure learned a lot since I've joined, and I've definitely enjoyed the positive experience with you and everyone else I've had the chance to visit with on the forum.

10. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I am jealous! I don't have good luck hatching in cold weather and feel I need to wait until at least March. They are beautiful and so healthy looking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by