Very Frightful Accident

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShelbyCoral, Jan 22, 2015.

1. The thought of heat lamps in the coop scare most people.
    It didn't scare me as I thought to have secured the heat lamp in my coop.
    I went out a couple days ago to find my heat lamp on top of my little booted bantam rooster. Frightened of fire, I took the heat lamp off of him immediately. He was just lying there twitching... I didn't know what to do! I picked him up and his head was limp and his legs were shaking so bad. I gave him some really strong pain killers used for my dog. He calmed down a little bit and slept but was still in allot of pain!
    Today he can somewhat move his head but I don't know how to help him! He prefers to stand over laying down. His he goes around to his butt. When he does this, his lower back saddle feather raise up where that oil gland is. I think the heat lamp fell on his back. He opens his eyes when I press on certain areas of his back. He wont eat or drink anything! I think he broke his torso... How can I help him? Is it better to just but him down? If I don't do something now he will be in worse pain then he already is, and I cant let that happen. I am aiming to be an avian vet but this is just out of my hand and know nothing about! Help!

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    So sorry for your bird. If he is not eating and drinking that is really not good. I would try tubing him some water at least. If you have not tube fed before, make sure you do research and don't tube down the wrong pipe. It will kill him. I have a small (regular) light in my large coop.

It is secured in two ways in case one fails. Chickens can bump into it while flying. Make sure you now secure it better. Have a fail safe plan to avoid fire and injuries.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

If you think he has broken bones... I'd cull him :hugs
    But that's just my opinion... You never know he may bounce back with tube feeding and your care... I had a bird with an epic head injury make it through, another one that was nearly crushed by a big truck rim also bounced back with a bit of time and care...Good luck

5. He has had some trouble in the past with some neurological problems. His head would shake back and forth, he also couldn't stand correctly and would fall over if he walked, but he healed from that completely. He is just prone to this stuff...

6. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Poor guy :(

7. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Thankfully chickens are very resilient. Hopefully he will turn out fine. I agree with Hennible about the broken bone issue. If you think his bones are broke, I wouldn't let him suffer. Just observe him closely and make the best decision for your chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by