Very Frustrated

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by woodmort, Jul 6, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I'm new to this forum but neither chicken/poultry raising nor computers but I am having a very frustrating time posting photos to my page. I have followed instructions both written and in the video to a "t" and it just doesn't work whether I use Google or Safari as my browser. What's going on?

PS I finally got it to work using aol's IE browser. Apparently the app for this forum is tied to microsoft [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Yeah, Chrome and Safari don't work. [​IMG]

Another browser that works with it is Firefox. [​IMG]

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I've created pages in Firefox and Chrome, and I believe there are Mac browsers that work fine too.

Are you getting any specific error messages? What steps are you taking and what is / isn't happening?

There are some unique items, specifically copy / paste:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3653225#p3653225

So, if you can walk us through what is and isn't working we can help troubleshoot.

4. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Rob,

I have no problem posting text on BYC's My Page with Google Chrome as long as I create it right there--nothing from Word will paste on. Likewise if I misspell a word it will red line it as misspelled but not give me a correction. Basically I found that none of the editing icons on the editing page will work when using Google Chrome (as I am now). Any copy/paste commands will not work although the copied URL will be saved on my clipboard it will not paste to the page. I can move my downloaded picture from the BYC site to a Word document using copy/paste but not from the BYC download to the "My Page"--or from Word to the BYC page either. It is very frustrating as I spent nearly an hour this afternoon trying everything both written and on the video, frontdoor/backdoor to get a picture on the page--when I logged on to my account on aol it went up on the first try using copy/paste. In truth I'd rather use Google since aol/IE is slower. Fortunately I can post to the forums from Google just fine it is the My Page where it doesn't work. [​IMG]

Example, go to My Page--you will see the picture that was posted from aol and center using the editing system on aol. Below is a caption I tried to add from Chrome. No matter what I did I could not get the BYC editor to center it, I only could move it over by tabbing--as a consequence it isn't centered under the picture.

Oh yeah, when editing/composing the My Page from Chrome, it one hits "backspace" you will lose everything you have written that wasn't posted.

I think your server has a bug they need to dig out in re to compatibility with Google Chrome and Safari.

Jim

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  5. Nifty-Chicken

We'll look into it, thanks for the feedback!

6. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    FYI--I went to aol this am and centered the caption with no problem, something I could not do on Chrome.

7. Nifty-Chicken

We think it is a problem with the version of the HTML WYSIWYG editor / program in the page creator. We'll work with our programmers to see if it can be fixed and/or updated.

Thanks!

8. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Tried using Foxfire today as well--same result, no result with copy/paste but did get an error message telling me I couldn't do it. May be a problem with Windows 7 too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by