VERY GRAPHIC PICS TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mahen8622, Mar 12, 2009.

1. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    i opened an egg today that was past due so i wanted ot see if there was a chick in there or if it drowned in the egg bc i had a staggered hatch or what so i found this!!!!! it has TWO BEAKS AND THREE EYES!!! it was days away from hatching AHHHHH it died fifteen min after i opened the egg this is pretty disturbing to me has this happened to anyone b4????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Can you get a clearer pic? I had one that was kind of the opposite...no eyes or upper beak...the poor little thing was lively though so I actually had to cull it. [​IMG]

3. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    sorry this lil mutant is in the garbage it was so horrific to me it had full movement of its beaks they all moved in unouson ( sorry if spelling is off) these are the only pics i have my sister took a few to i could post them at a later date.
    what causes this EEEEK!

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It's just a malformation. A certain amount of chicks have birth defects, just like in people.

5. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    hmm didnt know if it was due to inbreeding or what i got a dozen eggs from someone locally and didnt know if it was jsut that theyd bred these birds to much or what

6. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:I had one this morning no top beak. It was the most alive of all the chicks!! I had to cull as well. I felt horible cause it just stared at me an peeped away. How is it that the deformed one could be better off than the "normal" ones? It's weird!

7. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    [​IMG] well i could bet this lil chick had an upper beak or to ta spare for your chick lol [​IMG]

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Poor baby, it just wasn't meant to be. Just like some "siamese" twins that sometimes don't make it for the same reasons... babies fused at the wrong time or something....[​IMG]

9. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    yep it had one giant eye in the middle between the top of hte beaks and two smaller ones on either eyes veeery odd one leg was a bit smaller too

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

My question is can some chicks be more genetically predisposed to birth defects than others, or is this an environmentally caused thing during development?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by