Very green diarrhea - pic's included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jillylam, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Jillylam

Jillylam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    Hi. I have a 1-1/2 yr old hen that has had diarrhea for almost a week. I wanted to wait to see if it would clear up but it hasn't. The ones she does over night are such a strange bright green with white that looks like cottage cheese. I kept her inside today and whenever she poos it sprays out so hard and it's all liquid. Today her nostrils are a little runny and she's napping a bit more than usual. She gets layer feed & oyster shell free choice and some scratch in the afternoon. They've also had a cabbage head to pick at. I removed the cabbage for a few days thinking this might be doing it but she's no better. The only other thing I gave her recently was black oil sunflower seeds but I even stopped those. I don't worm them but I do add a supplement to their feed called WormGuard. It's a mixture of DE/flax seeds/grape seed extract. At first I thought worms but then I wasn't sure when I saw her runny nose today. My other six girls seem ok. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

The 1st pic I know is her poo, the 2nd I'm not sure. The orange background is a trunk that they sit on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I would urge you to get a faecal at the vet....

3. Jillylam

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    Diana,
    I'll be getting it done first thing Monday morning.
    Thanks.

4. Jillylam

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    Just an update on my girl. It turns out she had a very impacted crop that the vet and I could not get to empty other than with surgery. He told me it was a huge wad of hay or grass. I'm sure it was hay because I had seen her picking at it. I'll be taking all the hay out of the run but I guess I now have to figure out what if anything to put down over the mud.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ah Jill, so sorry this happened to your girl. Sending good wishes...
    JJ in Hopewell

6. Jillylam

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    Thanks JJ. I wish it had been a parasite of some sort - a tad bit easier to treat. The vet confirmed that she had some yeast which is what I had seen in the faecal that I did. We starting treating for yeast first but she was going downhill fast. He said she ate well today so I'm going to bring her home tomorrow. Thanks for the good wishes and I hope yours are doing well.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Usually bright green means that there's just bile being passed, which means no food is going through...
    Glad that you were able to get her taken care of.

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sending more good wishes that she'll be on the mend and back in your arms today....JJ
    (Thanks re: BJ and Annie - knock wood - doing ok!)

9. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    Hoping you and your hen do well and have a Merry Christmas...Gloria

10. Jillylam

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    Thanks you guys. I brought her home this morning. Her first two poos looked good but then back to diarrhea again this afternoon. The vet did another stain test for bacteria and found bad bacteria but he doesn't know yet what is causing it. We didn't get the blood work back yet so I don't know what that will find. She ate a bit tonight but didn't drink very much. I just hope to get to the root of the problem soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by